Get the latest Sports news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all major sports from across the globe. Professional and amateur. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MMA, and more!
New York Times – Sports
- Stefanos Tsitsipas took a two-set lead over Novak Djokovic in the French Open men’s final. But in his loss he found that “two sets doesn’t really mean anything.”
- England opened with a victory over Croatia in London. Denmark’s team doctor said Christian Eriksen went into cardiac arrest when he collapsed Saturday. “He was gone.”
- Eriksen received urgent medical treatment on the field and was said to be awake at the hospital. In Brazil, a virus outbreak has threatened the start of the Copa América.
- Four Stanley Cups in the 1980s gave way to bad decisions and bad luck. But the Islanders, one of the last four teams remaining in the N.H.L. playoffs, are finally on a roll.
- Winners from three groups will be named on Sunday night. They’ll join four other group winners to compete for Best in Show.
From the Sports News Archive
- BREAKING: Helio Castroneves Wins Indy 500 for the Fourth TimeBrazilian auto racer Helio Castroneves made history after winning his fourth Indianapolis 500 race on Sunday. He is now one of four drivers to win “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” four times. Castroneves, who took the checkered flag in 2001, 2002 and 2009, held off runner-up racer Alex Palou, winning by a mere .4928 of […]
- BREAKING: 21 runners dead as extreme weather hits China ultramarathonTwenty-one people were killed after hail, freezing rain and high winds hit runners taking part in a cross-country mountain race in China, state media said Sunday. The extreme weather struck a high-altitude section of the 100-kilometre (62-mile) race held in the scenic Yellow River Stone Forest in northwestern Gansu province Saturday afternoon. Among the dead […]
- Trump’s War on Jon Bon Jovi Could Smash His EmpireFormer President Trump may soon start to wish he’d never wrangled with Jon Bon Jovi over football. That’s because their 2014 battle to buy the Buffalo Bills helped set the stage for the New York attorney general’s investigation of Trump’s company. That probe is now showing signs of heating up, and it’s expanded well beyond Trump’s […]
- Canucks add seven players to COVID-19 protocol list as Brazilian variant found in team's outbreakThe Vancouver Canucks' season remains on pause as a growing COVID-19 outbreak that has overwhelmed the team has gone from bad to worse. A source confirmed to ESPN on Saturday night that the more infectious Brazil variant of COVID-19 has been found among several of the cases affecting the Canucks, the first known cases of […]
- Elgin Baylor, Lakers legend and Hall of Famer, has died at 86 – CBS NewsElgin Baylor, the Los Angeles Lakers legend, Hall of Famer and 11-time NBA All-Star, has died of natural causes, the Lakers said Monday. He was 86. Baylor's wife, Elaine, and daughter, Krystal, were at his side when he died, the NBA said. “Elgin was the superstar of his era — his many accolades speak to that,” Lakers […]
Featured Sports Stories…
- England had never won their opening game at a European Championship, but Gareth Southgate changed that.
- Steven Matz was placed on the COVID-related injured list by the Blue Jays before Sunday's game against Boston, one day after the left-hander beat the Red Sox.
- Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen was "gone" before he was resuscitated after suffering a cardiac arrest, the team's doctor Morten Boesen said.
- Krysta Palmer earned a second spot on the U.S. Olympic diving team, finishing first in the women's 3-meter springboard on Sunday in Indianapolis.
- French Open organizers say they took a "pragmatic" approach in their dealings with Naomi Osaka earlier in the tournament, insisting they tried to engage with her several times before she decided to withdraw from the clay-court Grand Slam.
- Detroit Tigers top prospects Spencer Torkelson and Dillon Dingler are joining Riley Greene in Double-A Erie.
- Alaska running star Allie Ostrander says treatment of a long-term eating disorder is her priority as Olympic Trials approachJun. 13—In a nearly 17-minute video posted online Friday, Alaska running star Allie Ostrander said she has spent the last five weeks partially hospitalized for treatment of a long-term eating disorder and is prioritizing treatment over training as the U.S. Olympic trials for track and field approach. Ostrander, 24, said she entered treatment at the […]
- Iowa Preps ranks the top returning basketball players for this conference heading into the 2021-2022 season now!
- It was a crowded final leaderboard Sunday in the final event before the U.S. Open.
- It’s not the ‘Dutch way’ by tradition, but it’s only an issue if it doesn’t yield results
- NETS WIN The Brooklyn Nets grabbed a commanding 3-1 series lead over the Milwaukee Bucks in the Eastern Conference Semifinals on Sunday, earning a…
- The New York Yankees entered the 2021 campaign with realistic championship aspirations, but they are in fourth place in the American League East after losing…
- The Florida Panthers and Carolina Panthers struggled to solve Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy in the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup…
- Brooklyn Nets point guard Kyrie Irving suffered an ankle injury Sunday in Game 4 of the Eastern Conference Semifinals at the Brooklyn Nets and will miss the remainder of the contest, the team announced…
- Novak Djokovic winning the French Open may have been the tennis star's second-best highlight at Roland Garros on Sunday. The first would have to be the…
Five Thirty Eight Sports
- neil (Neil Paine, senior sportswriter): Well, we have a final four in the Stanley Cup playoffs — and it’s not entirely who we might have expected going in. No, it’s not surprising to see the Tampa Bay Lightning and Vegas Golden Knights here, though it’s sad to say goodbye to the Colorado Avalanche (our preseason […]
- Entering the Stanley Cup Semifinals, one team has emerged as the (clear, ish) favorite to win the Stanley Cup: the Tampa Bay Lightning. After enduring a tough first-round battle against the Florida Panthers, a series the Bolts might actually have been lucky to win, Tampa Bay made quick work of the Carolina Hurricanes in round […]
- “A lot of good things happened tonight,” New York Yankees star Aaron Judge told reporters after the team’s Sunday night game against the rival Boston Red Sox. “A lot of good at-bats, a lot of clutch at-bats late in the game, guys picking each other up.” If those sounded like comments after a New York […]
- The NBA’s best players are bellwethers. Their excellence is taken as a template; they are understood to say something about the state of the game. That Nikola Jokić and Joel Embiid, the winner of and runner-up for the 2021 MVP award, put up such commendable years has a meta meaning, at least to those tired […]
- Patience is paying off in a big way for the Phoenix Suns. The No. 2 seed in the West snapped its 10-year playoff drought this year, beat the defending champion Los Angeles Lakers in the first round and currently holds a 1-0 lead over the Denver Nuggets. While the Suns’ All-Star backcourt of Chris Paul […]