Get the latest Sports news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all major sports from across the globe. Professional and amateur. NFL, MLB, NBA, NHL, MMA, and more!
New York Times – Sports
- The star never wanted to be UConn’s primary offensive option night in and night out. She might need to be, our columnist writes.
- With a statement win over the Philadelphia Eagles, the San Francisco 49ers leap up to No. 1.
- Erling Haaland’s reaction to a referee has defined the weekend’s Premier League action — and caused debate across the world.
- As the league has slowly moved forward on expansion, a class of interested parties have moved ahead too.
From the Sports News Archive
- Brett Favre named in $24M Mississippi welfare funds lawsuitThe Mississippi Department of Human Services has named Hall of Fame quarterback Brett Favre in a lawsuit seeking to recoup roughly $24 million in misspent welfare funds intended to combat poverty in one of the nation's poorest states. The lawsuit filed on Monday seeks $3.2 million combined from Favre and Favre Enterprises, Inc. Favre is… Read more: Brett Favre named in $24M Mississippi welfare funds lawsuit
- Mike Tyson will not face criminal charges for apparently hitting a plane passenger | CNN TravelMike Tyson will not face criminal charges over an incident caught on video last month that appeared to show the former heavyweight boxer hitting another plane passenger multiple times. Mike Tyson appears to hit fellow airplane passenger San Mateo County, California, District Attorney Stephen Wagstaffe told CNN he decided not to file misdemeanor battery charges… Read more: Mike Tyson will not face criminal charges for apparently hitting a plane passenger | CNN Travel
- Marcelo dropped from Lyon first team for “farting and laughing” in dressing room – sourcesBrazilian defender Marcelo was dropped from the Lyon first team due to continuous farting and laughing in the dressing room, sources have told ESPN.As ESPN reported in August, the 34-year-old was expelled from the senior squad following Lyon's 3-0 defeat at the hands of Angers.- What was Madrid target Mbappe doing near the Bernabeu?- Stream… Read more: Marcelo dropped from Lyon first team for “farting and laughing” in dressing room – sources
- Agreement reached to nullify $518K sale for Tom Brady's ‘final' touchdown ballThe $518,000 sale of the game ball used in the now-unretired Tom Brady's “final” touchdown pass has been voided by mutual agreement between buyer, consigner and auction house, according to Lelands Auctions on Thursday. Due to the unique nature of Brady's decision to return 40 days after he first announced his retirement in late January… Read more: Agreement reached to nullify $518K sale for Tom Brady's ‘final' touchdown ball
- Dwayne Haskins dies at 24 – The Washington PostDwayne Haskins, an NFL quarterback drafted by Washington and on the roster of the Pittsburgh Steelers, died Saturday morning after being struck by a truck in South Florida. He was 24. According to a Florida Highway Patrol spokeswoman, Haskins was attempting to cross on foot the westbound lanes of I-595 in Broward County against oncoming… Read more: Dwayne Haskins dies at 24 – The Washington Post
Featured Sports Stories…
- Omitting Marcus Rashford from the starting XI was a bold call from Erik ten Hag but, after beating Chelsea, it's one that define Manchester United's season.
- Man City are on their longest winless run under Pep Guardiola, and Aston Villa look like real title contenders.
- In a competitive Western Conference the Suns are seeing chemistry bloom between their star players, and the young and hungry Thunder are ready to push for the front of the pack. Here's how the NBA teams stacked up in this week's ranks.
- Ohtani's free agency could have been fun — a celebration of baseball. Instead, there is silence and threats. This is a loss for Ohtani — and for baseball.
- From the preseason until now, see whom ESPN writers picked to win college football's most coveted award.
- Hayden Hurst has not played for the Panthers since Nov. 9, but returned to practice Wednesday.
- Aston Villa outshot Manchester City 22-2 on Wednesday, and dominated City in a way that nobody has ever dominated Pep Guardiola.
- The Warriors find themselves in an eerily similar situation as the latter years of the San Antonio Spurs historic dynasty.
- The Red Sox lost left-hander Shane Drohan and righty Ryan Fernandez in the 2023 Rule 5 draft.
- Brock Purdy now has started a full season's worth of NFL games and the stats are impressive.
- MLB teams have reportedly said the Chicago White Sox are "pulling back" on trade talks regarding starting pitcher Dylan Cease, according to Jon Heyman of the…
- The 40-year history between "Rated R Superstar" Adam Copeland and the reigning TNT Champion Christian Cage culminated Wednesday night in Montreal in the main…
- New Orleans Pelicans stars Brandon Ingram and Zion Williamson had a good laugh when asked by reporters how they would celebrate if they won the NBA's…
- The Los Angeles Lakers are headed to Las Vegas for an in-season tournament matchup against the New Orleans Pelicans, and it could feel like a home matchup for…
- Thanks to the salary cap, NHL teams must invest their dollars wisely to ensure they can build and maintain competitive rosters. Overspend on a handful of…
Five Thirty Eight Sports
- How Consistent Was Every Premier League Lineup This Season?What our newest metric STABLE can tell us about Arsenal’s surprising title challenge — and Chelsea’s face-plant. By Ryan Best Before the 2022-23 Premier League campaign kicked off, there was a buzz around St. James’ Park that hadn’t been felt in quite some time: optimism. After years […]
- A year after Albert Pujols found the fountain of youth and spent his final season setting major league pitching on fire, the old-guy star of the 2023 season hasn’t been a positional contemporary like Joey Votto or Miguel Cabrera. Instead, April’s ultimate veteran revival has belonged to Andrew McCutchen of the Pittsburgh Pirates. Much like […]
- Bob Melvin played 10 years in the big leagues, and has managed for another 20. Yet the San Diego Padres’ skipper freely admitted that he has no idea exactly what to expect from Fernando Tatis Jr., now that the 24-year-old superstar has returned to the field after missing the entire 2022 season. “Based on what […]
- Each spring, NFL prospects rocket up mock draft boards for both obvious and inscrutable reasons. Sometimes it’s due to a player’s performance at the NFL combine or pro day where they flash unexpected athleticism (think receiver Denzel Mims’s 4.38 second 40-yard dash at the combine in 2020 or linebacker Jamin Davis and his 4.37 pro-day […]
- When two-time MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo tumbled to the court in the first quarter of the Milwaukee Bucks’ series-opening loss against the Miami Heat, the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference knew it would need to rally around the rest of its core. “Everyone’s ready,” said center Brook Lopez of the challenge. And as it […]