- Bipartisan talks on reforming police tactics and accountability, prompted by George Floyd's murder in May 2020, have ended without a compromise, Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.), a key negotiator, said Wednesday.Why it matters: Lawmakers, led by Rep. Karen Bass (D-Calif.) and Sens. Tim Scott (R-S.C.) and Booker, had been working toward a bipartisan deal for months […]
- The Federal Reserve hinted Wednesday its full throttle of economic support could start to ease as soon as November (its next policy meeting).Why it matters: It would be the start of a pivot for the Fed, which unleashed unprecedented measures when the pandemic hit to help rescue the U.S. economy.The big picture: COVID-19 is still […]
- President Biden on Wednesday spoke with French President Emmanuel Macron for the first time since a diplomatic row erupted over a scrapped submarine order, per the White House.Driving the news: Macron said that the French ambassador will return to Washington next week and will resume working with senior U.S. officials.Biden and Macron will also meet […]
- The U.S. and Israel held secret talks on Iran last week to discuss a possible “plan B” if nuclear talks are not resumed, two senior Israeli officials tell me.Why it matters: This is the first time a top-secret U.S.-Israel strategic working group on Iran has convened since the new Israeli government took office in June.Driving […]
- White House National Security adviser Jake Sullivan is planning to travel to the Middle East next week, including a stop in Saudi Arabia. He would be the most senior Biden administration official to visit the kingdom.Why it matters: Sullivan's first trip to the region since taking office is expected to include stops in Saudi Arabia, […]
- NPR's Leila Fadel speaks with Chris Nyamandi, Country Director of Save The Children in Afghanistan about a restriction on girls' education and other threats to children's welfare under the Taliban.
- The complaints from the Campaign Legal Center against four Democrats and three Republicans show a trend — lawmakers failing to disclose transactions required by an insider trading law.
- A growing number of states have policies for avoiding drawing new voting districts filled with prisoners who can't vote. It's part of an effort to combat what some call "prison gerrymandering."
- NPR's Ari Shapiro talks with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg about this year's UNGA, especially on military involvement in Afghanistan and the deal that has challenged relations with France.
- Moderate and progressive Democrats are at an impasse over the size of the reconciliation package. Some of them met with President Biden at the White House.
Featured Political Stories
- Brazil: warning Bolsonaro may be planning military coup amid rallies | Brazil | The GuardianThe Brazilian president, Jair Bolsonaro, and his allies could be preparing to mount a military coup in Brazil, according to an influential group of former presidents, prime ministers and leading public figures on the left.An open letter claims rallies that Bolsonaro followers are staging on Tuesday represent a danger to democracy and amount to an […]
- BREAKING: John Pierce Tries to Hire His 18th January 6 Defendant while on a Ventilator with COVID-19At a status hearing for Shane Jenkins, a January 6 defendant accused of assault, this morning, his currently retained attorney, Public Defender Maria Jacob, started by saying that she believes that she’s being replaced. John Pierce’s colleague, Ryan Marshall (who is not barred in DC but nevertheless handled Pierce’s appearance in Nate DeGrave’s case yesterday), […]
- BREAKING: State Firefighters Must Be Vaccinated Against COVIDOLYMPIA, WA — Firefighters with the Washington State Department of Natural Resources are the latest group required to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Commissioner of Public Lands Hilary Franz, who helms the DNR, announced Monday that DNR firefighters, and all other DNR employees, would have until Oct. 18 to be fully vaccinated. At the same time, […]
- BREAKING: Rev. Jesse Jackson and his wife have been hospitalized after testing positive for Covid-19Rev. Jesse Jackson and his wife are both hospitalized after testing positive for Covid-19. “Doctors are currently monitoring the condition of both,” the Rainbow PUSH Coalition (RPC) said in a statement Saturday. “Anyone who has been around either of them for the last five or six days should follow the CDC guidelines.” RPC is a […]
- BREAKING: Senators Wicker, King, Hickenlooper Have COVID-19Sens. Roger Wicker (R-Miss.), Angus King (I-Maine) and John Hickenlooper (D-Colo.) announced Thursday that they have tested positive for the coronavirus, becoming the latest members of the Senate to announce breakthrough infections in recent weeks. Earlier this month, Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.) said he had tested positive for the virus. All four senators have […]
- The former governor known for his racist comments once called himself "Baby Trump."
- A federal judge ordered the Fish and Wildlife Service to reconsider its decision not to grant the iconic desert plant protection under the Endangered Species Act.
- Ronald Colton McAbee was a sheriff's deputy when he attempted to breach the Capitol on Jan. 6. A judge is deciding whether he'll be freed pretrial.
- Republicans let the law's authorization expire in 2019. But Democrats say they're weeks away from unveiling a bill to renew it — with GOP support.
- So far, the U.S. has admitted fewer than 8,000 refugees in the 2021 fiscal year.
- The battle over raising the debt ceiling may seem like political gamesmanship on Capitol Hill, but it has real-life implications for tens of millions of Americans.
- President Joe Biden criticized Senate Republicans after the bipartisan talks around overhauling policing laws broke down without a deal, critiquing the GOP for rejecting even modest reforms.
- Bipartisan lawmakers dedicated to getting new global war on terrorism monument built on National MallA group of bipartisan lawmakers is dedicated to getting a new memorial to honor military veterans of the global war on terrorism built in a place of prominence: the National Mall in Washington, DC.
- The Pentagon is set to lay out its plan for addressing sexual assault and domestic violence in the military nearly three months after the White House and the defense secretary threw their support behind recommendations laid out by an independent review commission, according to two US officials and a Senate aide familiar with the plans.
- Multiple lawmakers angrily stormed out of a classified briefing with members of the Biden administration on Afghanistan on Wednesday morning, according to three sources familiar with the briefing.
- Australia Covid updates live: Morrison speaks in Washington; second major outbreak at Sydney’s Liverpool hospital; Melbourne expects fourth day of protestsScott Morrison speaks in Washington DC; two dozen people, mostly patients, have contracted Covid in a week at Sydney’s Liverpool hospital. Follow all the day’s newsIt’s time to dial public health measures down from 11, professor behind Doherty modelling saysAustralia’s supply of Pfizer Covid vaccine may face disruption in OctoberReality TV production in Byron Bay […]
- Thanks for following along – this blog is now closed. You can catch up with the latest coronavirus coverage here. 11.47pm BST Thanks for following along – this blog is now closed. You can catch up with the latest coronavirus coverage here. 11.00pm BST Syria is facing a new surge in Covid-19 infections in both […]
- Another 800,000 households fall victim to energy crisis as Avro Energy and Green collapseAnother 800,000 households fell victim to the energy crisis on Wednesday with the collapse of two more suppliers, as ministers admitted they were considering a windfall tax on companies profiting from record gas prices.The failure of Avro Energy and Green means that […]
- Pamphlet for the Fabian Society emphasises values of work, society and partnership with private sectorLabour will build a better Britain for working people | Keir StarmerKeir Starmer has set Labour on a decisive course toward the centre ground in a 35-page statement of intent that emphasises the values of hard work, contributing to society and […]
- The role of government is to give every person, every community, and every business the tools they need to contribute to our successOur country stands at a crossroads. The Tory government has shown what it offers working people – tax hikes for pie in the sky plans. The Labour path is the promise of a […]
- The move is expected to align with the recommendation the agency's independent vaccine advisers made last week.
- Trades by the Dallas and Boston Fed presidents have sparked calls by some progressive groups for their resignation.
- “It is not surprising that individuals who receive money from Big Tech are defending Big Tech,” Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) said.
- The CDC's vaccine advisers will refine exactly who is eligible — in this case, that will likely involve defining "high risk."
- Multiple health clinics outside Texas are seeing an influx of women seeking abortions weeks after the state's new restrictive abortion law ban took effect, …
- The French ambassador to the United States will return to Washington, D.C., next week after President Biden and French President Emmanuel Macron spoke Wednesday in the aftermath of a U.S. submarine deal with Australia tha…
- House Democratic leaders are vowing to follow through with a pledge to moderate lawmakers to vote on the Senate-passed bipartisan infrastructure bill by Sept. 27 – but they risk going to the floor without enough…
- President Biden on Wednesday called on other high-income countries to "step up" in their efforts to vaccinate the world against the coronavirus, as he pointed to new steps the U.S. is taking on a global vaccination push t…
- Senate Democrats are pumping $30 million into a field organizing push in nine states that will determine control of the upper chamber in 2022.The new program, dubbed Defend the Majority, is the Democratic Senatoria…
Five Thirty Eight
- Welcome to FiveThirtyEight’s politics chat. The transcript below has been lightly edited. sarah (Sarah Frostenson, politics editor): With Congress fully back in session, Democrats are once again in the business of legislating. This fall, they’re trying to push through a number of ambitious policies, including both the bipartisan Senate infrastructure bill and their ambitious $3.5 […]
- In Christian art, saints often hold an object associated with their martyrdom. Saint Stephen, stoned to death, holds a pile of rocks. Saint Lawrence, burned over an iron grill, stands with a gridiron. Saint Lucy offers a small dish with two eyeballs, a reference to her own eyes having been gouged out with a fork. […]
- UPDATED SEP. 21, 2021, AT 10:34 AM Latest PollsUpdated throughout the day. Polls policy and FAQs POLL TYPE All pollsBiden approvalGeneric ballotGovernorGovernor recallU.S. HousePresident: general electionPresident: Democratic primaryPresident: Republican primaryU.S. SenateTrump approval STATE All Alabama Alaska American Samoa Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Guam Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa […]
- Ohio Rep. Anthony Gonzalez announced he is retiring from Congress at the end of his term. He is one of the 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach former President Donald Trump after his supporters attacked the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6. In this installment of the FiveThirtyEight Politics podcast, the crew discusses how the […]
- Last Thursday, Republican Rep. Anthony Gonzalez of Ohio announced he would not seek reelection in 2022. The 37-year old congressman was one of 10 House Republicans who voted to impeach then-President Donald Trump after the Jan. 6 assault on the U.S. Capitol, and he is now the first to call it quits. Facing fervent opposition […]
- Former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn referenced an article he read that claimed the medical establishment is planning to secretly put the Covid-19 vaccine in salad dressing.
- Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill (R) is disputing claims by MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell that cybercriminals “flipped” 100,000 votes in Alabama from Donald Trump to Joe Biden in the […]
- “President Joe Biden was expected to speak Wednesday with French President Emmanuel Macron as the U.S. looks to stem the fallout from France’s fury over a deal to sell nuclear-powered […]
- “I just think it’s time for some of our dearest friends around the world to prenez un grip about all this and donnez-moi un break. Because this is fundamentally a […]
- “A former Massachusetts mayor, once a rising Democratic star after being elected at just 23 years old, was sentenced to six years in prison after being convicted of extorting hundreds […]