[Advertisement] The Hustle
- Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.) doubled down Friday night, saying he's not "going anywhere," and vowing, "I have not yet begun to fight," amid a federal investigation into sex trafficking allegations. What he's saying: “I’m built for the battle, and I’m not going anywhere,” Gaetz, who denies the allegations, said during a Women for America First […]
- Health: Coronavirus cases hold steady at 65,000 per day — CDC declares racism "a serious public health threat."Vaccines: America may be close to hitting a vaccine wall — Pfizer asks FDA to expand COVID vaccine authorization to adolescents — CDC says Johnson & Johnson vaccine supply will drop 80% next week.Economy: Treasury says over 156 […]
- The medical examiner who performed George Floyd's autopsy testified Friday that law enforcement's restraint and compression of Floyd's neck was "just more than [he] could take," given his heart's condition. Why it matters: Andrew Baker, the Hennepin County medical examiner, is a key witness "for prosecutors who hope to convince jurors that Derek Chauvin killed […]
- This week's nuclear talks in Vienna "met expectations" but did not assuage U.S. doubts about Iran's willingness to negotiate in good faith over the 2015 nuclear deal, a senior State Department official told reporters on Friday.The state of play: Iran refused to meet directly with the U.S. but held three days of talks with the […]
- The House Ethics Committee announced Friday it has launched an investigation into Rep. Matt Gaetz (R-Fla.), who is facing a federal probe into sex trafficking allegations. Driving the news: The panel said it is aware of allegations that Gaetz "may have engaged in sexual misconduct and/or illicit drug use, shared inappropriate images or videos on […]
- The investigation follows a series of allegations against the Florida congressman, including illegal drug use and sexual misconduct.
- NPR's Audie Cornish speaks with environmental policy expert Dr. Leah Stokes of University of California, Santa Barbara, about how President Biden's infrastructure plan addresses climate change.
- Friday's announcement comes amid a debate over the composition of the nine-member court that now has a 6-3 conservative majority.
- The president's budget blueprint would increase spending on an array of domestic programs aimed at reducing poverty and fighting climate change, while keeping defense spending relatively flat.
- Amazon avoided the prospect of a first unionized warehouse in America, where it's now the second-largest private employer. The vote in Alabama had prompted new interest in unions across the country.
Featured Political Stories
- Matt Gaetz investigation: Joel Greenberg, the congressman's associate, likely to reach plea deal in sex-trafficking case – The Washington PostORLANDO — A Florida politician at the center of an investigation into Rep. Matt Gaetz is negotiating with federal prosecutors to resolve his own sex-trafficking and other charges, a potentially ominous sign for Gaetz if his associate decides to cooperate in a bid for leniency. Joel Greenberg, the former tax collector for Seminole County, Fla., […]
- Trump-loving GOP candidate says God thinks she's ‘cute': ‘I've got this high-powered brain that never stops and drives me crazy' – Raw Story – Celebrating 17 Years of Independent JournalismKelly Tshibaka, the state commissioner of administration, launched her GOP primary challenge with the backing of some key allies of former president Donald Trump, whose election fraud claims she backed, after spending years serving in the federal government and running a Pentecostal church in the Virginia suburbs of Washington, D.C., reported The Alaska Landmine. Source: […]
- Trump’s War on Jon Bon Jovi Could Smash His EmpireFormer President Trump may soon start to wish he’d never wrangled with Jon Bon Jovi over football. That’s because their 2014 battle to buy the Buffalo Bills helped set the stage for the New York attorney general’s investigation of Trump’s company. That probe is now showing signs of heating up, and it’s expanded well beyond Trump’s […]
- Matt Gaetz's arrest is imminent as sources say Joel Greenberg has been ‘singing to the feds' | Daily Mail OnlineEXCLUSIVE: ‘His friend has been singing to the feds – that's why Matt is so freaked out.' Gaetz's arrest is imminent as jailed tax collector Joel Greenberg faces charges of having sex with same 17-year-old and ‘making fake ID's with the congressman' Source: Matt Gaetz's arrest is imminent as sources say Joel Greenberg has been […]
- March jobs report: economy added 916,000 jobs, unemployment rate down to 6 percent – The Washington PostThe U.S. economy added 916,000 jobs last month, as vaccine distribution improved, Congress approved a $1.9 trillion stimulus package and states across the country lifted restrictions on businesses. The unemployment rate edged down to 6 percent from 6.2 percent in February, according to the monthly report, from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The report comes […]
- The Colorado Republican railed against “a political party that is laser-focused on destroying our freedoms” and people pointed out the same thing.
- Max Boot nailed the irony of Carlson's anti-immigrant screeds in his op-ed for The Washington Post.
- The Fox News personality's latest incendiary comments came under the spotlight from the "CNN Tonight" anchor.
- House panel on COVID-19 accuses aides of "overruling and bullying scientists and making harmful decisions that allowed the virus to spread more rapidly."
- James Kyle Bell is also charged with fraudulently obtaining $1 million in funds from the coronavirus-relief Paycheck Protection Program.
- Nearly 40% of US Marines are declining Covid-19 vaccinations, according to data provided to CNN on Friday by the service, the first branch to disclose service-wide numbers on acceptance and declination.
- The House Ethics Committee said Friday it was opening an investigation into the allegations surrounding embattled Rep. Matt Gaetz, the Florida Republican facing a federal investigation into whether he violated sex trafficking laws.
- Prosecutors highlight alleged Oath Keepers' wild ride and gun discussions in major Capitol riot caseThe Justice Department has been making public what they've learned about the Oath Keepers paramilitary organization — which had at least a dozen of its affiliates amid the Capitol riot — and this week revealed new details about the group's alleged discussions to arm themselves on January 6 or to arrange for others to back […]
- A senior State Department official said that questions remain about whether Iran seriously wants to return to compliance with the nuclear deal after talks in Vienna this week aimed at salvaging the landmark 2015 agreement.
- A Pennsylvania man accused of bear-spraying US Capitol Police Officer Brian Sicknick, who died after the January 6 riot, is in talks with the Justice Department for a possible deal to be released from jail as he awaits trial, according to a court hearing on Friday.
- On 23rd anniversary of Good Friday agreement, Martin says onus on political leaders ‘to step forward’The Irish taoiseach Micheál Martin has said that political leaders must not allow Northern Ireland to “spiral back to that dark place of sectarian murders and political discord” after the region was marred by another night of disorder.On the anniversary […]
- Buy-to-let landlords hoarding properties harms the whole system. Labour would benefit from explaining this to voters“If only under-30s [voted],” wrote the architectural historian and activist Owen Hatherley, reflecting on the results of the 2019 election, “there would be no Conservative MPs anywhere in Britain.” But, if only the over-70s voted, “there would be Tory MPs […]
- Prince Philip has died at 99. Follow the latest updates as the royal family and people around the world react to his deathFull report: Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, dies aged 99Queen and royal family mourn Prince Philip as tributes pour inPrince Harry could face quarantine to attend Philip funeral‘I feel really sad’: mourners in […]
- Tony Eckersley sent a picture of Jo Cox along with the threat to ‘have you dealt with’ A white supremacist has been jailed for more than two years after sending hundreds of violent, misogynistic and racist messages to Labour MP Jess Phillips.Tony Eckersley, 52, from Salford, Greater Manchester, sent the Labour MP more than 300 […]
- Buy a copy of this cartoon from our print shop Continue reading…
- U.S. policymakers have spent trillions of dollars to mitigate the effects of Covid-19. But the answer to preventing the next pandemic altogether lies elsewhere.
- ‘Kacey Montagu’ posed as a reporter for the fictitious WHN and managed to fool real correspondents — and even the new Biden administration.
- Jennifer Davis, a career Foreign Service officer, is returning to her previous role but will “aggressively appeal this decision.”
- Roberta Jacobson will leave the administration as it continues to struggle with high numbers of migrants at the southern border.
- Officials will examine the brain of Phillip Adams, the former professional football player accused of fatally shooting a South Carolina physician, three family members and a repairman before killing himself, will be teste…
- The White House on Friday said President Biden will nominate Doug Parker, the chief of California's Division of Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), to head up the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- A California police department announced Friday that it fired one of its officers for having ties to the far-right extremist group Proud Boys.
- White supremacists are planning rallies in cities nationwide this weekend under the banner of "White Lives Matter."
- Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) warned that ending the Senate filibuster and expanding the Supreme Court would "forever diminish" the country's foundation as Democrats mull revamping certain aspects of the legislative and judic…
Five Thirty Eight
- In this installment of the FiveThirtyEight Politics podcast, Galen Druke speaks with Stephanie Valencia and Carlos Odio, founders of the political research firm Equis Research. Their recent data-driven post-mortem of the Latino vote in 2020 looks at which voters were most likely to support former President Trump and offers some hypotheses as to why.
- Welcome to Pollapalooza, our weekly polling roundup. Are Americans in favor of the celebrity politician post-Trump? Seems like it, according to recent polling. The consumer research platform Piplsay found earlier this week that 58 percent of respondents said they would like to see one or both of the actors Matthew McConaughey and Dwayne “The Rock” […]
- When Donald Trump came onto the scene in 2015, some analysts assumed his anti-immigrant rhetoric would be poison for Latino voters. But in 2016, Trump did no worse than Mitt Romney with that group, and possibly better (depending on which data you look at). And in 2020, Trump improved on his 2016 margin with Latino […]
- Many Democrats Are Sick Of Iowa And New Hampshire Going First, But The Primary Calendar Is Unlikely To ChangeLike death and taxes, it’s long been a fact of life that Iowa and New Hampshire kick off both the Republican and Democratic presidential primaries. However, the nightmarish hellscape that was the Iowa caucuses in the 2020 Democratic primary — the Iowa Democratic Party released barely any results the night of the caucuses because of […]
- Welcome to FiveThirtyEight’s politics chat. The transcript below has been lightly edited. sarah (Sarah Frostenson, politics editor): Georgia’s new voting law has captured headlines for all the ways in which it makes voting harder. It’s also not the only state considering these kinds of laws; there are nearly 20 states in which voting restrictions have […]
- Daily Beast: “None of the 16 former senior Trump admin officials, ex-campaign brass, longtime GOP operatives, and sources close to the ex-president contacted by The Daily Beast were willing to […]
- Politico: “In the first three months of the off-year, party recruiters are reporting a surge of enthusiasm from a diverse crop of prospective candidates, including women and people of color. […]
- Washington Post: “The GOP is still Donald Trump’s party. The clearest proof of that: It is still finding ways to pay Donald Trump money.” “Since Trump left office, at least […]
- Axios: “The Justice Department accuses Jame Kyle Bell, the man behind the Keep America Great Committee, of enlisting a digital fundraising firm to fraudulently appeal to Trump supporters to chip […]
- “Texas Republican Party chairman Allen West falsely suggested that Texas could secede from the United States and become an independent country,” CNN reports. Said West: “This is something that was […]