- Nearly all of us aren't getting enough of a critical vitamin that supports vision, brain health and even developing fetuses — vitamin E.The stunning stat: Around 90% of U.S. adults' diets don't contain adequate amounts of vitamin E, studies have shown.Zoom in: Vitamin E's major function is as an antioxidant. It quietly protects our cells […]
- Republican-led states that have resisted expanding Medicaid for more than a decade are showing new openness to the idea.Driving the news: In the decade-plus since the landmark Affordable Care Act was enacted, 12 states with GOP-led legislatures still have not expanded Medicaid coverage to people living below 138% of the poverty line (or nearly $19,000 […]
- China will view further U.S. arms sales, official travel to Taiwan or naval activity near the self-governing island as provocations that will further destabilize relations and prevent progress on other issues, Beijing's ambassador to the U.S. warned Tuesday.Why it matters: Ambassador Qin Gang said if Washington doesn’t "show restraint" in the wake of Speaker Nancy […]
- Rep. Liz Cheney's political reign in Congress is likely coming to a close Tuesday in Wyoming, where polls close at 7pm MT (9pm ET).Why it matters: The former No. 3 House Republican's expected loss to Trump-backed Harriet Hageman underscores how her anti-Trump rhetoric and role as vice chair of the Jan. 6 committee have made […]
- President Biden signed into law Tuesday the Democrats' $740 billion reconciliation bill.Why it matters: The package, known as the Inflation Reduction Act, includes provisions that increase taxes on large corporations, address climate change and lower prescription drug costs. Biden has emphasized that the bill will help lower the deficit and drive down inflation, though economic […]
- The Jan. 6 committee has been uncovering what led up to the insurrection, but lurking beneath the hearings is a sometimes unspoken reason — race and the loss of white power.
- NPR's Ari Shapiro speaks with The New New Deal author Michael Grunwald about President Biden signing the Inflation Reduction Act into law, which addresses climate change, drug prices and taxes.
- The legislation has been a year in the making, with tense negotiations leading to a narrower spending package that focuses on climate investments and health care costs.
- A recent attempted attack on an FBI office has raised concern about violent far-right rhetoric, but assessing the exact nature of the threat presents new challenges.
- Wyoming Rep. Liz Cheney faces a stiff GOP primary challenge from Trump-backed Harriet Hageman. Despite his popularity in the state, Cheney has spoken out against Donald Trump throughout her campaign.
Featured Political Stories
- Giuliani is target in Georgia criminal probe of possible interference in 2020 election, lawyer says – The Washington PostProsecutors in Fulton County, Ga., have told Rudy Giuliani’s lawyers that he is a target of their ongoing criminal probe into efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election, a Giuliani lawyer said Monday. Attorney Robert Costello said that lawyers for the former New York mayor were told by the office of Fulton County […]
- Trump-allied lawyers pursued voting machine data in multiple states, records reveal – The Washington PostA team of computer experts directed by lawyers allied with President Donald Trump copied sensitive data from election systems in Georgia as part of a secretive, multistate effort to access voting equipment that was broader, more organized and more successful than previously reported, according to emails and other records obtained by The Washington Post. As […]
- Mar-a-Lago search showed legal peril of Trump documents, national security probe – The Washington PostAs FBI agents pulled up to Donald Trump’s Florida club Monday morning to conduct a search for top-secret government documents — approved by a federal judge and requested by the attorney general of the United States — the former president was by chance already huddled with his lawyers in Trump Tower in New York, a […]
- FBI search of Trump's Mar-a-Lago related to nuclear documents, sources say – The Washington PostClassified documents relating to nuclear weapons were among the items FBI agents sought in a search of former president Donald Trump’s Florida residence on Monday, according to people familiar with the investigation. Experts in classified information said the unusual search underscores deep concern among government officials about the types of information they thought could be […]
- Miami Man Pays to Fly ‘Ha Ha Ha’ Banner Over Trump’s Mar-a-Lago Home – NBC 6 South FloridaA Miami man commissioned a banner plane with the message “ha ha ha ha ha” to fly over Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate Wednesday as supporters of the former president rallied outside in protest of this week's FBI search of the home.Thomas Kennedy, a self-professed critic of Trump and Democratic activist, told NBC 6 he a […]
- In the liberal county that Cheney calls home, Democrats happily crossed party lines — just this once — to support her in the GOP primary.
- "I want all our kids to know that they matter and they belong," Gov. Tom Wolf said.
- The Justice Department will reveal the names only if it presses criminal charges against Trump so that the cooperation of other witnesses isn't jeopardized.
- The 16-year-old, who is working toward her GED, said she knew she was not ready to care for a baby.
- The Florida Republican says “this will be a short-term gig” because Republicans will try to hobble the agency if they win back control of Congress.
- Pennsylvania governor issues executive order seeking to protect LGBTQ residents from conversion therapyPennsylvania's Democratic governor on Tuesday moved to protect LGBTQ residents from conversion therapy, issuing an executive order that compels state agencies to discourage the practice and bans taxpayer funds from being used to support it.
- Arizona Republican secretary of state nominee kept 'Treason Watch List' and posted about stockpiling ammunition on PinterestThe Republican nominee for secretary of state in Arizona is a self-proclaimed member of the far-right extremist group the Oath Keepers who repeatedly shared anti-government conspiracies and posts about stockpiling ammunition on social media.
- Nazi imagery and a 'treason watch list' featuring Democrats are some of the posts uncovered by CNN from the Trump-backed Arizona Republican secretary of state candidate Mark Finchem. CNN's Andrew Kaczynski reports.
- Guardian, BBC and Times seek release of documents about policy of sending asylum seekers abroadA Foreign Office official raised concerns about plans to send asylum seekers to Rwanda, citing state surveillance, arbitrary detention, torture and killings by the country’s government, the high court has heard.The court has been asked to consider an application by the […]
- Four families tell of how their losses and the lack of government compensation have affected their lives and mental healthWith the news that thousands of the parents and children of the blood scandal victims are receiving nothing in interim government payments, we examine some of the cases. Continue reading…
- Whitehall review is also said to suggest cycling speed limits, along with licence penalty points and finesBikes could be made to have registration plates and insurance as ministers weigh up bringing speed limits for cyclists into line with those for drivers.The government is also considering the possibility of cyclists receiving licence penalty points and fines […]
- Liz Truss is seeking ‘formal consultations’ after Horizon programme grants to scientists under Brexit treaty were cancelledThe UK is triggering dispute proceedings with the EU, accusing it of breaching the Brexit treaty by freezing it out of scientific research programmes following the row over Northern Ireland.Liz Truss, the foreign secretary and Tory leadership frontrunner, said […]
- Liz Truss faces Rishi Sunak in leadership hustings after comments about British workers leaked – as it happenedLatest updates: leaked audio reveals favourite to be next PM said British workers lacked the ‘graft’ of their foreign rivalsKeir Starmer said the biggest cause of division in Scotland was the Conservative party.The Labour leader said:The single biggest driver of division in Scotland is the Tory party in Westminster.I want to hold our UK together, […]
- Kevin McCarthy also said he'd be House speaker come next January.
- Former President Obama tweeted that the Democrats' newly signed climate and health care bill “is a BFD,” making a reference to a hot mic moment President Biden had years ago. “This is a BFD,” Obama wrote in a tweet on Tuesday, quoting his former vice president’s tweet on the signing of the Inflation Reduction Act. …
- The CEO of gunmaker Smith & Wesson on Monday blamed politicians “and their lobbying partners in the media” for a “crisis of violence” two weeks after House lawmakers subpoenaed the company for information about the manufacture and sale of its AR-15 style firearms. “They are the ones to blame for the surge in violence and…
- The Associated Press is following the election in Alaska and Wyoming. Follow the live results below. Alaska Wyoming
- President Biden was finally able to get it done — for Beau. We don’t know definitively that Beau Biden’s cancer was caused by exposure to burn pits during his time in Iraq, but we do know that millions of veterans can now count on getting the treatments they need for chronic illness from exposure to…
- President Biden signed a major climate, tax and health care package into law. Meanwhile, states in the West failed to reach a water-sharing agreement. This is Overnight Energy & Environment, your source for the latest news focused on energy, the environment and beyond. For The Hill, we’re Rachel Frazin and Zack Budryk. Someone forward you […]
Five Thirty Eight
- In this clip from ABC News Live, FiveThirtyEight senior elections analyst Nathaniel Rakich explains why the highly anticipated races involving Rep. Liz Cheney and Sen. Lisa Murkowski may be overhyped.
- Conventional wisdom suggests that members of opposing political parties don’t like each other — and I mean really don’t like each other. But what does it mean when members of your own party are seemingly aching to get you out of office too? Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar must be asking herself that question after nearly […]
- Two establishment Republicans who stood up to former President Donald Trump’s false claims of election fraud are facing the voters on Aug. 16. Can they beat their Trump-backed opponents? Transcript Nathaniel Rakich: Two of the most high-profile Republicans who have stood up to former President Donald Trump’s false claims of election fraud are facing the […]
- In the past week, Democrats’ odds of keeping control of the Senate after the midterms have ticked up to around 60 percent, according to our Deluxe forecast model. In this installment of “Model Talk” on the FiveThirtyEight Politics podcast, Nate Silver and Galen Druke discuss the news events and polling that have contributed to this […]
- Pennsylvania U.S. Senate candidate Mehmet Oz (R) is on video telling a voter he owns two houses, the Daily Beast reports. “The problem with that answer is Oz—legitimately—owns far more […]
- “Former president Donald Trump and close aides have spent the eight days since the FBI searched his Florida home rushing to assemble a team of respected defense lawyers. But the […]
- There are primaries today in Wyoming, where polls close at 9 p.m. ET, and in Alaska, where polls close at 12 a.m. ET. Leave your reaction in the comments as […]
- Philip Bump: “This expansion of the Trumpworld legal universe pales in comparison to last week’s dramatic development, of course: the FBI’s search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago resort. But it’s a reminder […]
- “Sen. Rick Scott (R-FL) warned potential job seekers against applying for new positions at the Internal Revenue Service, vowing that Republicans will move to rescind new federal funding for the […]