Late Breaking News…
- A medical professor who is opposed to mask and vaccine mandates, attacked concern over the pandemic as "Covid mania" and likened the eating of fruit […]
- The chief of the Kent County Health Department says someone tried to run him off the highway hours after he issued a mask mandate for […]
- By the time the news conference occurred on Nov. 19, Mr. Trump's campaign had already prepared an internal memo on many of the outlandish claims […]
- When asked about last week's move by health officials in Idaho, authorizing Crisis Standards of Care statewide, [Washington Governor Jay] Inslee said, "people who are […]
- Mark Zandi, chief economist at Moody's Analytics, found that a prolonged impasse over the debt ceiling would cost the U.S. economy up to 6 million […]
Get the latest news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all the news that's fit to print.
- The FBI is asking people to come forward with information regarding the whereabouts of Brian Laundrie, 23, who returned from a cross-country van trip without Gabby Petito, 22, three weeks ago.
- New Orleans hasn’t picked up some people’s trash for weeks since Ida. They’re begging to get rid of the stench.As New Orleans continues to deal with the fallout from Hurricane Ida, the city is facing a garbage mess that’s left many residents without a trash pickup since the storm.
- More than 60 dead penguins mysteriously appeared on a South African beach. The answer to how they died stings.Dozens of penguin bodies appeared on a South African beach one morning. What killed them?
- Libby Adame and her daughter Alicia Gomez were charged with murder after Karissa Rajpaul, an aspiring adult film actress, died following the silicone injections.
- A rapper helped open a free grocery in his former school. As a teacher, I know how critical that is.Grammy-nominated hip hop artist Gunna helped start the grocery and clothing store at the school he and his four siblings attended.
The Daily Beast
- YouTubeA person who saw doomed “van-life” couple Gabby Petito and fiancé Brian Laundrie fighting in Moab, Utah, told cops that “something definitely didn’t seem right,” according to a witness statement released by authorities.Petito and Laundrie set off in July to travel the U.S., visiting the country’s national parks and wilderness areas while living out of […]
- Carlos Jasso/ReutersFacebook is continuing to run ads for so-called “abortion pill reversal” a week after a report showed it had raked in more than $100,000 for advertising the unproven medical procedure.Data from the Facebook Ad library shows the tech company allowed three ads from the anti-abortion group Live Action to run in the week after […]
- Courtesy of Nick LawyerThe public health officer in Montana’s rural Sanders County, who was forced to resign last week after generating outrage for promoting COVID vaccines and masks over dodgy unproven drugs, fears the role of health officials is teetering dangerously into the political realm.“It worries me that we are turning the health officer and […]
- Warner Bros.Nicki Minaj’s husband, Kenneth Petty, pleaded guilty earlier this month for failing to register as a sex offender after he moved to the state of California. Meanwhile Jennifer Hough, whom Petty was convicted of assaulting in 1995, is continuing to share her story. On Wednesday morning, Hough gave her first televised interview on The […]
- NewsmaxNewsmax anchor Rob Schmitt blasted MSNBC host Joy Reid on Tuesday night for focusing on “skin color” when it comes to news coverage of the Gabby Petito murder, ignoring the fact that his Newsmax colleague Grant Stinchfield made the exact same argument as Reid the night before.Reid has once again found herself facing the wrath […]
New York Times – World News
- After the Taliban took over, Western donor nations withdrew from a program that financed clinics across the country through the Afghan health ministry, the W.H.O. said.
- In a second day of addresses at the General Assembly, leaders including the presidents of Venezuela and Ukraine were scheduled to speak. The gathering opened with grim warnings about the state of global cooperation.
- Moderna accepted $2.5 billion in taxpayer money to develop its Covid-19 vaccine. But officials in the U.S. and overseas are having trouble persuading the company to license its technology.
- Investors are watching whether the property developer defaults. But in the background, the world’s No. 2 economy is flashing numerous warning signs.
- This is what it looks in La Palma, where the most powerful volcanic eruption in half a century has upended life for islanders.
- Former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn referenced an article he read that claimed the medical establishment is planning to secretly put the Covid-19 vaccine in salad dressing.
- Alabama Secretary of State John Merrill (R) is disputing claims by MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell that cybercriminals “flipped” 100,000 votes in Alabama from Donald Trump to Joe Biden in the […]
- “President Joe Biden was expected to speak Wednesday with French President Emmanuel Macron as the U.S. looks to stem the fallout from France’s fury over a deal to sell nuclear-powered […]
- “I just think it’s time for some of our dearest friends around the world to prenez un grip about all this and donnez-moi un break. Because this is fundamentally a […]
- “A former Massachusetts mayor, once a rising Democratic star after being elected at just 23 years old, was sentenced to six years in prison after being convicted of extorting hundreds […]
- Juventus fight back from a goal down to earn their first Serie A victory of the season against Spezia.
- Sunrisers Hyderabad's dismal run in this season's Indian Premier League continues as they lose to Delhi Capitals by eight wickets in Dubai.
- The WHO is slashing recommended maximum limits of key pollutants as evidence of danger mounts.
- Boris Johnson tells the French president to "get a grip" amid anger over a submarine deal.
- A crew member on I'm a Celebrity tests positive, sending thousands into lockdown and sparking a backlash.
- by Craig Silverman, Chris Morran and Maya Eliahou ] ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. Even though Facebook Marketplace is backed by the power of the social networking giant, buying and selling items through the service can still carry […]
- by Max Blau and Annie Waldman, ProPublica, and Tegan Wendland, WWNO/NPR; Photography by Kathleen Flynn, special to ProPublica ] ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for Dispatches, a newsletter that spotlights wrongdoing around the country, to receive our stories in your inbox every week. This story was co-reported with […]
- Facebook Grew Marketplace to 1 Billion Users. Now Scammers Are Using It to Target People Around the World.by Craig Silverman, A.C. Thompson and Peter Elkind ] ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. For years, Carman Alfonsi relied upon Facebook Marketplace to buy and sell used pool tables for his Michigan billiards business. He banked a steady […]
- by Justin Elliott, Patricia Callahan and James Bandler ] ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. Legislation currently making its way through Congress would take a sledgehammer to the massive individual retirement accounts built up tax-free by a select group […]
- by Zoë Sobel, KUCB, and Agnel Philip, ProPublica ] This article was produced for ProPublica’s Local Reporting Network in partnership with KUCB and CoastAlaska. Sign up for Dispatches to get stories like this one as soon as they are published. More than five decades ago, a flight carrying Doug Groothuis’ father crashed while taking off […]
- Del Rio congressman furious after call with Mayorkas: 'You can't bull**** me' (Anna Giaritelli/Washington Examiner)Anna Giaritelli / Washington Examiner: Del Rio congressman furious after call with Mayorkas: 'You can't bull**** me' — DEL RIO, Texas — The U.S. congressman whose district includes 800 miles of the southern border and the town of Del Rio said the Biden administration's top homeland security official was “dismissive” …
- Beth Mole / Ars Technica: Florida's new surgeon general skeptical of vaccines, opposes masks — Ladapo signed the Great Barrington Declaration and suggests embracing “the reality of viral spread.” — Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis announced Tuesday that the state's new surgeon general will be Joseph Ladapo …
- Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System: Federal Reserve issues FOMC statement — The Federal Reserve is committed to using its full range of tools to support the U.S. economy in this challenging time, thereby promoting its maximum employment and price stability goals. — With progress on vaccinations and strong policy support …
- Divided Democrats to meet with Biden on gridlocked spending deal (Susan Ferrechio/Washington Examiner)Susan Ferrechio / Washington Examiner: Divided Democrats to meet with Biden on gridlocked spending deal — A group of centrist and liberal Senate Democrats will huddle at the White House with President Joe Biden on Wednesday to try to overcome intraparty differences on the scope and cost of a spending bill.
- Texas Abortion Law Prompts Women to Seek Out-of-State Clinics (Elizabeth Findell/Wall Street Journal)Elizabeth Findell / Wall Street Journal: Texas Abortion Law Prompts Women to Seek Out-of-State Clinics — Louisiana, Oklahoma facilities report influx of patients from Texas looking for abortions and other services — AUSTIN, Texas—Women's health clinics in Louisiana, Oklahoma and beyond are reporting an influx of out-of-state patients …
- Multiple health clinics outside Texas are seeing an influx of women seeking abortions weeks after the state's new restrictive abortion law ban took effect, …
- The French ambassador to the United States will return to Washington, D.C., next week after President Biden and French President Emmanuel Macron spoke Wednesday in the aftermath of a U.S. submarine deal with Australia tha…
- House Democratic leaders are vowing to follow through with a pledge to moderate lawmakers to vote on the Senate-passed bipartisan infrastructure bill by Sept. 27 – but they risk going to the floor without enough…
- President Biden on Wednesday called on other high-income countries to "step up" in their efforts to vaccinate the world against the coronavirus, as he pointed to new steps the U.S. is taking on a global vaccination push t…
- Senate Democrats are pumping $30 million into a field organizing push in nine states that will determine control of the upper chamber in 2022.The new program, dubbed Defend the Majority, is the Democratic Senatoria…
- US to donate 500m Pfizer doses to low- and lower-middle-income countriesDoses are in addition to the over 600m the US has committed to sendingHouse Democrats pass spending bill in party-line vote of 220 to 211McConnell pledges to oppose any effort to raise the debt ceilingSign up to receive First Thing – our daily briefing by […]
- US and Australia not going back on cancelled €56bn submarine contract despite talk with French leaderFrance has agreed to return its ambassador to the US and Joe Biden has vowed not to cut Paris out of key future defence decisions in the Indo-Pacific after a phone call designed to calm French fury after he struck […]
- UK records 166 new Covid deaths; draft suggests Germany rules would come into force in OctoberTransmission in England highest among 12- to 15-year-olds, expert warns‘It’s scary’: record Covid absences cause concern in England’s schoolsArdern gambles as New Zealand Covid restrictions easedRiot police on Melbourne streets to prevent third day of protestsArgentina to lift almost all […]
- Serial killer known as the Yorkshire Ripper had been warned by prison authorities that he was vulnerablePeter Sutcliffe, the convicted serial killer known as the Yorkshire Ripper, refused to be shielded in prison in the months before he died from the coronavirus, an inquest has heard.Sutcliffe had been warned that he was vulnerable to Covid-19 […]
- Birds, and perhaps other animals too, benefitted from a respite in human activity in North America, research suggestsThe shutdown of traveling and socializing during the Covid-19 pandemic last year brought severe dislocation to many people, but if you were a bird during this time it was highly appealing, new research has found.The distribution of 80% […]
- Fed signals it may start to dial back bond purchases if economic recovery progress continues as expected.
- Epic Games sued Apple in August 2020 after the iPhone maker removed Fortnite from its App Store.
- A day after coup attempt, top military chiefs accuse civilian politicians of turning blind eye to people's needs.
- United Russia has retained a supermajority in the State Duma at the price of growing public discontent with the Kremlin.
- France will send its ambassador back to US, joint statement says, after diplomatic spat over Australia submarine deal.
News & Guts
- Evidence is mounting that erectile dysfunction is one of the symptoms of long Covid. The phenomenon was identified by Italian researchers in April, when they discovered that COVID-19 was associated with a six-fold increase in developing erectile dysfunction. Urologist weren’t surprised by the link – the coronavirus is known to damage blood vessels, which are […]
- Donald Trump filed a lawsuit agains his niece, Mary Trump, and several journalists at The New York Times for disclosing his tax information, accusing the parties of launching an “insidious plot” filled with “actual malice” against him. The former president’s suit, filed in New York state court Tuesday, alleges that Mary Trump breached a 2001 […]
- A rift in the Democratic party between moderates and progressives threatens to derail two pieces of legislation that embody much of President Joe Biden’s domestic agenda. In August, the U.S. Senate passed a bipartisan bill that includes $550 billion in new spending on the nation’s roads, bridges, broadband, and water systems, among other “hard infrastructure” […]
- New court documents reveal that the Trump campaign knew that many of their lawyers’ most outlandish claims of voter fraud in the 2020 election were baseless, but they continued to assert them in public anyway. Less than two weeks after the election, the Trump campaign’s deputy director of communications, Zach Parkinson, asked Trump campaign staffers […]
- The Democratic-controlled House of Representatives is working on legislation that would enact new limits on the executive branch in an effort to put guardrails on presidential powers. A bill being introduced on Tuesday is essentially aimed at Trump-proofing the Oval Office to prevent future presidents from abusing their power and preventing corruption. Democrats have made […]