Get the latest news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all the news that’s fit to print.
- ‘QAnon Shaman’s’ note to Pence cited as evidence of ‘assassination’ plot before prosecutors walk back claimProsecutors walked back their claim after saying Jacob Anthony Chansley's ominous note for Vice President Pence made it clear rioters intended to kill or capture lawmakers.
- State leaders say volatile mix of far-right, white supremacist groups could challenge law enforcementAlthough many governors say there are no credible threats against their capitols, states coast-to-coast are preparing for possible unrest in the coming days.
- In New Jersey, smokers can now get the coronavirus vaccine before teachers or public transit workersThis week, New Jersey issued new covid-19 vaccination guidelines that now allow the state's roughly two million smokers to get a covid-19 vaccine.
- Her organization was called COYOTE — short for Call Off Your Old Tired Ethics — but she and her associates also referred to themselves as a “loose union of women” or, winkingly, a “union of loose women.”
- As Democrats push for probe of GOP ties to riots, Rep. Lauren Boebert denies involvement, says she’s getting ‘death threats’Although no Democrat has publicly accused her, freshman Republican Rep. Lauren Boebert said she had been falsely linked to claims that a GOP lawmaker had led groups on Capitol tours before the riot.
The Daily Beast
- Drew Angerer/GettyIn the final week of his presidency, Donald Trump met in the Oval Office on Friday afternoon with Mike Lindell, the MyPillow CEO and a personal friend of the president’s, who presented Trump with six pages of documents, loaded with unproven conspiracy theories, that he told him proved that China and other countries helped […]
- Photo Illustration by The Daily Beast/GettyEditors and reporters at the staunchly pro-Trump conservative outlet Breitbart News privately clashed over whether President Donald Trump was to blame for last week’s deadly Capitol riot, according to internal messages reviewed by The Daily Beast.“I am just not feeling charitable AT ALL,” international news editor Frances Martel posted to […]
- Punit Paranjpe/AFP via GettyEmployees of the People for The Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) are revolting against the organization’s plan to “speak up for animal issues while honoring MLK Day,” emails obtained by The Daily Beast show.And PETA President Ingrid Newkirk isn’t taking it well—defending her idea in an unhinged response that referenced Harriet Tubman […]
- Alex Edelman/GettyIn a last-ditch attempt to defend the outgoing U.S. President Donald J. Trump, Russian-speaking participants in the recent mob at the Capitol flooded the airwaves of the Kremlin-controlled Russian state television. They claimed that the pro-Trump insurrectionists were merely “peaceful demonstrators” and blamed “antifa” for the violence that took place in Washington, DC on […]
- DNCC via GettyDonald Trump has less than a week left in office and Sarah Cooper is feeling reluctantly hopeful.“I'm really excited. I'm really happy,” she tells me in this preview of next week’s episode of The Last Laugh podcast. “There’s still a part of me that's like, is it really over? Could it really be […]
New York Times – World News
- The decree by President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority was viewed by analysts as a bid to lift his standing with the Biden administration. Skeptics expressed doubt the vote would happen.
- After nearly a year of jockeying, no clear front-runner has emerged to lead Germany’s Christian Democratic Union. Three men are vying for delegates’ votes this weekend.
- President-elect Joe Biden’s vaccination push is colliding with the reality of limited supplies, a scarcity that has dashed hopes for a federal stockpile.
- A year into the pandemic, the carnage is spreading faster than ever.
- The Biden administration will need to rebuild drug-enforcement cooperation after Mexico exonerated Gen. Salvador Cienfuegos, discounting U.S. evidence that he worked for a cartel.
- “Three days before thousands of rioters converged on the U.S. Capitol, an internal Capitol Police intelligence report warned of a violent scenario in which ‘Congress itself’ could be the target […]
- “Prosecutors in Georgia appear increasingly likely to open a criminal investigation of President Trump over his attempts to overturn the results of the state’s 2020 election, an inquiry into offenses […]
- “President Trump’s top economic adviser criticized his boss’s handling of the riot at the U.S. Capitol and said he was disappointed in the way Mr. Trump treated Vice President Mike […]
- “President Trump is considering granting a pardon to Steve Bannon, his former White House chief strategist and top campaign aide, who was charged with swindling donors to a private crowdsourcing […]
- “Speaker Nancy Pelosi said on Friday that House impeachment managers were preparing to prosecute President Trump in the Senate, but she refused to offer a timeline for when they would […]
Late Breaking News…
- Low taxes and light regulation made the party popular with corporate America for decades. President Trump and his supporters have frayed those bonds.
- One of Donald Trump's fiercest supporters, MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, went to a meeting at the White House with notes suggesting "martial law if necessary".
- The officers at the West Terrace eventually pushed people away from the doors. It was only then that Fanone saw the immense, volatile crowd stretched […]
- Trump has been consumed by the unraveling of his presidency during his last days in office, according to people around him, which included a casual […]
- A Texas real estate agent who took a private jet to the Capitol last week and called it "one best days of my life" was […]
- An increasing number of civilians are becoming victims of the conflict in Ethiopia's Oromia region.
- A selection of striking images taken around the world this week.
- For residents on both sides of the border there are hopes of an end to queues, but not everyone is convinced.
- Health and frontline workers are first in line for jabs at vaccination centres across the country.
- We speak to reporters in six global regions about hopes and expectations for the new US administration.
- Memphis-Area Residents Without Internet Must Wait Days for Vaccination Appointments, While Others Go to the Front of the Lineby Wendi C. Thomas and Hannah Grabenstein, MLK50: Justice Through Journalism ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article was produced in partnership with MLK50: Justice Through Journalism, which is a member of the ProPublica Local Reporting Network. MEMPHIS, […]
- by Melissa Sanchez ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. Illinois lawmakers voted to end the practice of suspending driver’s licenses for unpaid red-light and speed camera tickets, part of a broader criminal justice reform package passed this week. If […]
- by Joseph Cranney, The Post and Courier ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article was produced in partnership with The Post and Courier, which was a member of the_ ProPublica Local Reporting Network _in 2019. COLUMBIA, S.C. — […]
- “Where They Countin’ the Votes?!”: New Video Details Tense Moments as Capitol Mob Sought Out Lawmakersby Jack Gillum, video by Lucas Waldron and Maya Eliahou ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. More than 10 million people have seen the video shot by HuffPost reporter Igor Bobic showing a Black Capitol Police officer leading pro-Trump […]
- by Connor Sheets, AL.com ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article was produced in partnership with AL.com_, which was a member of the ProPublica Local Reporting Network in 2019. In 2009, Kevin Greeson traveled from Alabama to witness […]
- Gizmodo: Leaked Parler Data Points to Users at Police Stations, U.S. Military Bases — Location data gleaned from thousands of videos posted on the social network Parler and extracted in the days before Amazon restricted access to app this week, reveal its users included police officers around the U.S …
- Maya Kosoff / GEN: Watching Gossip Girl at the End of the World — Nostalgia drew me in. But the escapism, absurdity, and innocent stupidity of the late 2000s kept me watching. — It's the second Friday in March, and nobody seems to be going outside anymore. I'm glued to my couch watching season 1 […]
- Daniel Greenfield / Front Page Magazine: The Capitol Hill Riot Was Pelosi's Fault, Not Trump's — Why couldn't Congress' private police force of 2,000 protect it from a mob of hundreds? — Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the Freedom Center, is an investigative journalist and writer focusing on the radical Left and Islamic […]
- Nicholas Fandos / New York Times: Pelosi Holds Back Impeachment Article as House Builds Case — The speaker called the impeachment of President Trump “urgent,” but did not send the charge to the Senate to prompt the start of a trial, nor commit to when she would do so. — WASHINGTON — Speaker Nancy Pelosi […]
- Scoop: Gina Haspel threatened to resign over plan to install Kash Patel as CIA deputy (Jonathan Swan/Axios)Jonathan Swan / Axios: Scoop: Gina Haspel threatened to resign over plan to install Kash Patel as CIA deputy — CIA Director Gina Haspel threatened to resign in early December after President Trump cooked up a hasty plan to install loyalist Kash Patel, a former aide to Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.), as her deputy …
- House Democrats on Friday introduced resolutions opposing the Trump administration's sale of millions of dollars of precision-guided bombs to Saudi Arabia.
- John Weaver, a co-founder of the anti-Trump Republican political action committee The Lincoln Project, said Friday that he sent "inappropriate" sexually charged messages to multiple men and issued an apology for his behav…
- Thomas V. Mike Miller Jr. of Maryland, the nation's longest-serving state Senate president, died of cancer at the age of 78 on Friday, multiple outlets reported.The Democratic Maryland state senator had resigned De…
- Former South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg's confirmation hearing for the role of Transportation secretary will be held Thursday.Just a day after President-elect Joe Biden is slated for inauguration, Buttigieg w…
- James Murdoch, youngest son of media mogul Rupert Murdoch, on Friday issued a public rebuke of U.S. news outlets for advancing what he called "insidious and uncontrollable forces," adding that he hoped the deadly pr…
- Legislative polls to be held in May, presidential election set for JulyThe Palestinian president, Mahmoud Abbas, has announced parliamentary and presidential elections, the first in 15 years, in an effort to heal long-standing internal divisions.The move is widely seen as a response to criticism of the democratic legitimacy of Palestinian political institutions, including Abbas’s presidency. […]
- Global coronavirus death toll reaches 2 million people; UK shuts travel corridors and requires negative Covid tests to enter; German vaccine officials forced to guess who is eligible from namesBrazil rushes to save premature babies as Covid swamps hospitalsVaccine passports: what are they and do they pose a danger to privacy?US suffers bleak January as […]
- Pelosi says lawmakers may be prosecuted if they 'aided and abetted' US Capitol riot – as it happenedBiden on pandemic: ‘Things will get worse before they get better’DoJ inspector general launches review of Capitol riotUS suffers as Covid rages and vaccination campaign faltersBillionaires backed Republicans aiming to reverse election resultsKamala Harris: how will the next vice-president wield her power? Join the Guardian for a live conversation on 18 January 12.57am GMT Today’s […]
- Bobi Wine, the Ugandan opposition leader, said soldiers were attacking his home. 'Our lives are in danger,' Wine said. 'Our only security is letting the world know what is happening.'Lt Col Deo Akiiki, Uganda’s deputy military spokesperson, said the soldiers were at Wine’s house to protect himBobi Wine says soldiers have stormed his home as […]
- Error message greets visitors to site registered in name of Irish businessman who claims he does not know campaign groupLeave.EU has been forced to “Internexit” after the group’s EU domain name was temporarily suspended. It comes after the Irish businessman in whose name the pro-Brexit campaign group’s domain name is registered denied having any involvement […]
- Close race expected as more than 1,000 delegates are set to pick a new Christian Conservative leader on Saturday.
- Federal prosecutors previously said there was evidence that rioters intended 'to capture and assassinate' officials.
- Polls find majority supports banning Trump from public office amid a sharp partisan divide over his role in the riot.
- Presiential swearing in will be the most secured since President Lincoln inaugurations, before and during the Civil War.
- Banking chiefs are pointing to prospects for a rebound this year after unprecedented action from the Federal Reserve.
News & Guts
- What a downfall. The National Rifle Association has filed for bankruptcy. The NRA released a statement saying “The plan can be summed up quite simply: We are DUMPING New York, and we are pursuing plans to reincorporate the NRA in Texas.” The Wall Street Journal writes that this is “the latest twist in its legal […]
- Sources tell CNN that Donald Trump will depart the White House before Joe Biden is sworn in on January 20. The plan is for Trump to leave the White House in the morning on Marine One and travel to Joint Base Andrews. Under consideration at Andrews is a color guard, a military band, a 21-gun […]
- Attorney For “QAnon Shaman” Says His Client Should Be Pardoned Since He Was Following Donald Trump’s OrdersJacob Chansley has become one of the most recognizable faces over the last week. Also known as the “QAnon Shaman,” he was caught in several photos during the siege on Capitol Hill wearing horns, face paint, and a headdress. After his arrest early this week, prosecutors wrote that he left a handwritten note for Vice […]
- For the first time since election day, the current Vice President has connected with the incoming Vice President. The Associated Press cites two people familiar with the conversation as saying that Mike Pence called Kamala Harris to offer congratulations. One of the people familiar with the Thursday afternoon conversation described it as a “good call,” […]
- Under immense criticism about the slow rollout of the COVID vaccine, Health, and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar said this week that we are now “moving to the next phase of the vaccine program.” Just three days ago he told ABC News, “We have already made available every dose of vaccine. So we had been […]