Get the latest news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all the news that’s fit to print.
RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received
New York Times – World News
- With tax revenues plummeting, states could face a cumulative budget gap of $555 billion through the 2022 fiscal year, according to one estimate.
- The mysterious dimming of the red supergiant Betelgeuse is the result of a stellar exhalation, astronomers say.
- Demonstrators at a huge state-run factory in the capital gave an ultimatum: Unless a fair election is held, they will strike, in a new test of President Aleksandr G. Lukashenko’s rule.
- Israel says the attack was thwarted, but a cybersecurity firm says it was successful. Some officials fear that classified data stolen by North Korea could be shared with Iran.
- Mapping currents in the Southern Ocean is vital to monitoring climate change, but hard to conduct. So scientists turned to seals for help.
- When asked if the American people will have a free, fair and credible election in November, Speaker Nancy Pelosi told NBC News: “Not if the president has anything to do […]
- New York Times: “The lawyer, Kevin Clinesmith, 38, who was assigned to the Russia investigation, plans to admit that he altered an email from the CIA that investigators relied on […]
- Jonathan Bernstein: “The thing is that Trump, by opposing money for the U.S. Postal Service and supporting “reforms” that have slowed it down, is just handing former Vice President Joe […]
- Barack Obama: “Everyone depends on the USPS. Seniors for their Social Security, veterans for their prescriptions, small businesses trying to keep their doors open. They can’t be collateral damage for […]
- FiveThirtyEight has a state-by-state guide to voting during the pandemic.
Late Breaking News…
- Alexander Burns, Jonathan Martin and Katie Glueck: Though (Kamala) Harris was seen from the start as a front-runner, (Joe) Biden did not begin the process […]
- The US Postal Service plans to remove hundreds of high-volume mail-processing machines from facilities across the country, leading some postal workers to fear they may […]
- With tax revenues plummeting, states could face a cumulative budget gap of at least $555 billion through the 2022 fiscal year, according to one estimate. […]
- While the book itself has not yet been released, the foreword contains several damning allegations against the president. [Michael] Cohen claims that his former boss […]
- There hasn't been much high-quality polling as we inch closer to the conventions, but we got some new national and state polls yesterday. So far, […]
- Extra ferry services are laid on as 160,000 holidaymakers see their plans thrown into chaos.
- England are frustrated by gritty Pakistan batting and more bad weather on day two of the second Test at the Ageas Bowl.
- Arsenal sign Brazil midfielder Willian on a three-year deal after the 32-year-old's contract with Chelsea expired.
- The emaciated aged 30 had been left for at least three years without proper care, police say.
- Holidaymakers weigh up whether to cut their trip short or face quarantine on return to the UK.
- by Lomi Kriel ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article is co-published with The Texas Tribune, a nonprofit, nonpartisan local newsroom that informs and engages with Texans. Sign up for The Brief weekly to get up to speed […]
- by Yeganeh Torbati and Dara Lind ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. The Trump administration is predicting years of dramatically reduced international demand for U.S. visas, and planning for drastic budget cuts to visa services worldwide as a result, […]
- by Rachel Glickhouse This article is part of Electionland, ProPublica’s collaborative reporting project covering problems that prevent eligible voters from casting their ballots during the 2020 elections. Sign up to receive updates about our voting coverage and more each week. What’s Happening to the Postal Service? On Friday, Postmaster General Louis DeJoy reassigned or displaced […]
- by Mick Dumke ProPublica Illinois is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to get weekly updates about our work. The bridges that help define Chicago’s downtown aren’t raised very often anymore — usually just for a few scheduled minutes to let boats pass on the way to or from Lake Michigan. […]
- by Sean Campbell, Hannah Fresques and Benjamin Hardy ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. On Friday, March 20, the New Jersey Department of Health got an urgent call from a Catholic nursing home. COVID-19 was tearing through St. Joseph’s […]
- CNN: Former FBI lawyer set to plead guilty to altering email during Russia investigation — (CNN)An FBI lawyer who worked on the surveillance warrant of former Trump foreign policy adviser Carter Page plans to plead guilty Friday to making a false statement in an email as part of an investigation into the Russia investigation.
- Michael C. Bender / Wall Street Journal: President Trump to Be Featured Each Day of GOP Convention — Plan is a departure from previous nominating events when candidates were showcased on the final night — WASHINGTON—President Trump will be featured each day of the Republican National Convention, say officials involved in planning it …
- Ex-FBI lawyer, accused of falsifying document in probe of Trump's campaign, to plead guilty (Washington Post)Washington Post: Ex-FBI lawyer, accused of falsifying document in probe of Trump's campaign, to plead guilty — A former FBI lawyer has agreed to plead guilty to altering an email that helped justify surveillance of a former Trump campaign adviser as part of the 2016 investigation into Russian interference in the election …
- Steve Benen / MSNBC: Trump presses Barr to target his perceived enemies before election … It was last year when the Justice Department's inspector general concluded that there was nothing improper about the federal investigation into the Russian scandal. Attorney General Bill Barr said he didn't much care …
- Pam Fessler / NPR: New Postmaster Hasn't Yet Met Election Officials About Mail-In Ballot Concerns — Election officials are seeking clarification from the Postal Service about how recent cutbacks will affect what's expected to be an avalanche of mail-in voting in the upcoming election.
- President Trump on Friday preemptively attacked a forthcoming book from journalist Bob Woodward, despite previously praising him as a "very good writer" and agreeing to be interviewed for the Watergate reporter's latest b…
- Postmaster General Louis DeJoy acknowledged in an internal memo this week that his restructuring plans for the United States Postal Service, which have garnered severe criticism from Democrats, have had "unintended conseq…
- Former President Obama said Friday that President Trump could benefit electorally from positive progress in the pandemic because he "takes responsibility for nothing but takes credit for everything."In …
- Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) this week sent a letter to Postmaster Louis DeJoy demanding answers about the removal of more than a dozen blue Post Office drop boxes across the state, as Democrats fear the Trump administration…
- Former President Barack Obama said Friday that President Trump is actively kneecapping the Postal Service, a move that is "unheard of."In …
- Thomas Massie of Kentucky makes appeal to TrumpTrump’s brother hospitalized – reportCDC: death toll set to reach 200,000 by Labor DaySurge in cases among children fuels fears over school reopeningsHealth insurers doubled profits in second quarterSign up to our First Thing newsletter 6.28pm BST It’s been a busy morning and there is a lot more […]
- Coronavirus live news: France infections accelerate; Spain to close nightclubs and ban public smokingFrance reports more than 2,800 new infections in another new post-lockdown record; Spain announces 11 new measures; Italy to test travellers from Spain, Croatia, Malta and GreeceFrance could add British visitors to quarantine list after UK measuresUK adds France to Covid-19 14-day quarantine list‘Critical moment’: Spain sees cases rise again US coronavirus death toll ‘to […]
- Humidity forecast to remain as thunderstorms spread across much of England and WalesThunderstorms and heavy rain are forecast to continue in parts of Britain this weekend, making it a total washout for many.After a week of scorching temperatures, the dryness has been replaced with downpours and flash flooding that has caused disruption to roads and […]
- French move comes after UK added country to quarantine list as well as Netherlands, Malta, Turks and Caicos, and Aruba; UK figures show 11 people have diedBritons scramble to get home from France before quarantine rule beginsLeicester and parts of northern England will remain in tighter lockdownGrant Shapps gives wrong day for start of France […]
- President expected to visit younger brother, 72, on FridayRobert tried to ban publication of niece’s tell-all bookPresident Donald Trump’s younger brother, Robert Trump, has been hospitalized in New York, according to the White House.The president is expected to visit his 72-year-old brother at a hospital in Manhattan on Friday, according to a White House spokesman, […]
- Trump administration cracked down on immigration, a key issue in his current term and for his re-election bid.
- UK imposes quarantine for France and the Netherlands; Spain shuts nightclubs; Italy orders testing for some travellers.
- Pompeo says Trump wrote to Assad, who the US wants deposed, to request help finding Austin Tice, missing since 2012.
- Israel and the United Arab Emirates agree to normalise relations in a deal brokered by US President Donald Trump.
- Turkey warns Greece of retaliation if attacked amid claims in energy-rich region as Ankara accuses Paris of 'bullying'.
News & Guts
- Michael Cohen Releases Foreword To His Book, Writes That He Knows Where Trump’s “Skeletons Are Buried”Of all the books written about Donald Trump, few have had the inside access of Michael Cohen’s. Unlike Trump’s niece Mary Trump, who had a distant relationship with the president, Cohen was one of Trump’s closest allies for years. Today, for the first time, we are getting a glimpse into what the former attorney/fixer writes […]
- Rep. Adam Schiff does not mince words. He is a skilled orator and writer as we learned during Donald Trump’s impeachment. Today he posted on Twitter his reaction to Trump’s move to block Postal Service funding. “Has there ever been a president so utterly devoid of scruple, so naked in his ambition to steal an […]
- It’s no longer implied or innuendo, today Donald Trump clearly tied his refusal to fund the post office to mail-in voting. It happened during an interview with Fox Business host Maria Bartiromo. Trump’s war on the post office, and mail-in voting, is escalating. The Washington Post writes: Trump, who has been railing against mail-in balloting […]
- Vaping among American teens and young adults puts them at 5-7 times greater risk of contracting Covid-19 than those who don’t use e-cigarettes, according to an important new study. Stanford University medical researchers published their findings Tuesday in the Journal of Adolescent Health. The results surprised even some of them. The director of the study […]
- It’s now inevitable: Marjorie Taylor Greene’s victory in Tuesday’s runoff primary in one of the most conservative voting districts in Georgia will impact the coming election nationwide. That’s because Greene is a conspiracy theorist — a disciple of the ultra-right-wing faction QAnon, which claims President Trump is battling a cabal of devil-worshiping saboteurs who “traffic […]