Late Breaking News…
- A New York judge on Tuesday refused to dismiss state Attorney General Letitia James' lawsuit accusing Donald Trump of illegally inflating his assets and net […]
- Hunter Biden has filed a lawsuit against Rudy Giuliani and Rudy's lawyer Bob Costello for violating federal and California computer fraud laws.
- Jamelle Bouie: It is difficult to think of another justice, in the history of the Supreme Court, who has been as partisan and as ideological […]
- The court's decision is in line with its June ruling in the same case that reaffirmed key protections for minority voters.
- McCarthy helps pass a 70% cut to heating assistance this winter for Low Income families and retirees as winter approaches. All in an effort to […]
Get the latest news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all the news that's fit to print.
RSS Error: WP HTTP Error: cURL error 28: Operation timed out after 10001 milliseconds with 0 bytes received
The Daily Beast
- Photo Illustration by Luis G. Rendon/The Daily Beast/GettyFrom a young age, I’ve found the face of actor-comedian Kevin James to be weirdly comforting. On weeknights, my mother and I would watch reruns of the CBS show King of Queens together as a part of our primetime network lineup. It was one of the few adult […]
- Scott Olson/Getty ImagesDonald Trump could not have picked a more perfect gun shop to make a campaign stop.The Palmetto State Armory retail outlet in Summerville, South Carolina, did not only have a Glock semi-automatic pistol inscribed with his name and likeness.The company itself has a history of capitalizing on the crazy core of Trumpism: insurrection […]
- Photo Illustration by Elizabeth Brockway/The Daily Beast/GettyComedian Gary Gulman’s research to write Misfit: Growing Up Awkward In the ‘80s, began almost 50 years ago. While most of us have hazy memories of kindergarten, Gulman’s are somehow in crisp focus. As years pass and lunch boxes and school bus drivers become wall-lockers and shopping malls, the […]
- Photo Illustration by Elizabeth Brockway/The Daily Beast/GettyAt the first GOP presidential debate, it was a steady show from every candidate that produced likewise steady poll numbers in the weeks following.But with every participant in Wednesday night’s second GOP debate trailing Donald Trump by at least 30 points, when the candidates take the stage in front […]
- Photo Illustration by Thomas Levinson/The Daily Beast/GettyNo one on Capitol Hill knows exactly when sending aid to Ukraine became such a political issue.It didn’t really start as one.In May 2022, three months after Russia began its brutal invasion, solid bipartisan majorities in Congress voted to approve a $40 billion aid package to Ukraine. Many Republicans […]
New York Times – World News
- Uncertainty over the fate of a Russian admiral.
- The fire spread quickly in part because of highly flammable building materials, state media reported.
- After decades of wars and tense stalemates, almost no one saw it coming: Azerbaijan seized Nagorno-Karabakh from Armenian control seemingly overnight.
- Mr. Nygard, the 82-year-old former executive behind a defunct women’s clothing company, is accused of sexual assault and forcible confinement.
- Russia-Ukraine War: Ukraine Acknowledges Doubt After Russia Shows Video of Naval Commander ‘Allegedly Alive’A day after Ukraine claimed to have killed the commander of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, Russian state media broadcast footage of the admiral, Viktor Sokolov, in a meeting of defense officials.
- “House Republicans are planning to plow ahead with their impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden in the event of a government shutdown, though a lapse in federal funding could present […]
- “House Republicans on Tuesday advanced four full-year spending bills, handing Speaker Kevin McCarthy (R-CA) a small win but doing little to stave off a government shutdown at the end of […]
- After a judge ruled that Donald Trump was liable for extensive financial fraud over a decade, the former president railed against the “new, un-American depths” and “radical attack” against him. […]
- California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) “signed a series of bills Tuesday to further strengthen California’s gun control measures, drawing praise from anti-gun violence advocates and prompting legal action from firearm […]
- New Jersey first lady Tammy Murphy (D) is “seriously considering a run” for the seat held by embattled Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ), Axios reports. “Murphy and her husband, Gov. Phil […]
- The UK's largest reported extraterrestrial "encounter" is featured in a new Netflix series.
- Ukraine is battling a colossal PTSD crisis and wants to try anything to help – including cannabis.
- Donald Trump exaggerated his net worth and asset values to get better loans, a New York judge rules.
- He is also set to be extradited to the US to face charges there once his Canada cases end.
- They can return to work while they vote on whether to approve a three-year deal that offers pay rises.
- This Security Guard Enforced a School District’s Mask Mandate. He Ended Up Facing a Criminal Charge.by Nicole Carr ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for Dispatches, a newsletter that spotlights wrongdoing around the country, to receive our stories in your inbox every week. Jill Joy pointed her cellphone camera at the security guards gathered near the doors to the middle school auditorium, where the […]
- by Paul Kiel ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. For the past quarter century, Intuit, the maker of TurboTax, has worked to thwart one clear threat to its profits: a free, publicly funded tool to file taxes online. The […]
- The Cleanup of Seattle’s Only River Could Cost Boeing and Taxpayers $1 Billion. Talks Over Who Will Pay Most Are Secret.by Lulu Ramadan, The Seattle Times This article was produced for ProPublica’s Local Reporting Network in partnership with The Seattle Times. Sign up for Dispatches to get stories like this one as soon as they are published. In its early days as a major aircraft manufacturer, Boeing was remarkably open about toxic chemicals flowing from […]
- by Todd Wallack, WBUR ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for Dispatches, a newsletter that spotlights wrongdoing around the country, to receive our stories in your inbox every week. Massachusetts housing officials announced Friday that they are launching a “90-day push” to reduce the number of vacancies in state […]
- Wisconsin’s Republicans Went to Extremes in Gerrymandering. Now They’re Scrambling to Protect That Power.by Megan O’Matz ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for Dispatches, a newsletter that spotlights wrongdoing around the country, to receive our stories in your inbox every week. In the northwest corner of Wisconsin, the 73rd Assembly District used to be shaped like a mostly rectangular blob. Then, last […]
- Washington Post: Under India's pressure, Facebook let propaganda and hate speech thrive — SAN FRANCISCO — Nearly three years ago, Facebook's propaganda hunters uncovered a vast social media influence operation that used hundreds of fake accounts to praise the Indian army's crackdown in the restive border region …
- United Farm Workers endorses Biden, says he's an 'authentic champion' for workers and their families (Darlene Superville/Associated Press)Darlene Superville / Associated Press: United Farm Workers endorses Biden, says he's an ‘authentic champion’ for workers and their families — The United Farm Workers on Tuesday announced its endorsement of President Joe Biden for reelection, saying that the Democrat has proven throughout his life to be an “authentic champion” …
- CNN: House Republicans vow to continue impeachment inquiry even if government shuts down — House Republicans are planning to plow ahead with their impeachment inquiry into President Joe Biden in the event of a government shutdown, though a lapse in federal funding could present logistical challenges to their investigative work.
- William Vaillancourt / The Daily Beast: UAW Leader Has No Desire at All to Talk to Trump in Michigan — Trump's expected appearance Wednesday at a non-union auto plant is a “pathetic irony,” Shawn Fain said on CNN. — The United Auto Workers union's president derided GOP presidential candidate Donald Trump as being out of […]
- A fire at a wedding hall in northern Iraq has killed more than 100 people and injured 150 (Farid Abdulwahed/Associated Press)Farid Abdulwahed / Associated Press: A fire at a wedding hall in northern Iraq has killed more than 100 people and injured 150 — A fire that raced through a hall hosting a Christian wedding in northern Iraq killed at least 100 people and injured 150 others, authorities said Wednesday, warning the death toll could […]
- The Senate voted Tuesday to advance a short-term funding measure needed to avert a government shutdown at the end of the week, though not every lawmaker in the upper chamber was in support. The vote was 77 to 19, with all 19 in opposition part of the Republican Party. The Senate Republicans who voted no include Sens….
- A fire at a wedding party in northern Iraq killed over 100 people and injured at least 150 on Tuesday, local officials said, according to The Associated Press. The fire took place in a town just outside Mosul, a predominantly Christian part of the country. Video of the blaze showed the wedding venue engulfed in…
- The Writers Guild of America (WGA) will officially lift its strike on Wednesday, allowing Hollywood’s writers to return to work after a nearly five-month halt on most TV and film productions. The WGA said Tuesday it voted to lift the strike as of 12 a.m. PST, which will authorize Hollywood writers to return to work […]
- A former Twitter executive will join Peloton as its chief product officer, the company announced Tuesday, replacing a company co-founder in the role. Nick Caldwell was named for the position on Tuesday, joining the leadership team of a company that has faced difficulty maintaining the rocketing growth it experienced during the COVID pandemic. “Nick brings…
- Virginia Governor Glenn Youngkin (R) said Tuesday he is not likely to make an endorsement in the 2024 presidential primary, for now staying out of the contentious race. “I don’t expect to endorse anyone. I think voters should choose this, and I’m sure it will be a well-participated primary,” Youngkin said at the Economic Club…
- Allan says it is a ‘deep honour and privilege’ to lead Victorian as Ben Carroll elected deputy premierGet our morning and afternoon news emails, free app or daily news podcastAndrews’ handling of pandemic ‘a legacy of his strength’, Bill Shorten saysNDIS minister and former Labor leader Bill Shorten has spoken highly of outgoing Victorian premier […]
- Russia-Ukraine war live: Shahed drones contain European components; Sokolov situation ‘remains unclear’ says US thinktankEuropean manufacturers of components used in drones named in Ukrainian government document; ‘unclear’ whether Russian admiral Viktor Sokolov has died, says Institute for the Study of WarRussia-Ukraine war at a glanceMore now on the report on European components used in Shahed drones: Among the suggestions for action by Ukraine’s western allies – at which they […]
- Labor MPs appoint Daniel Andrews’ deputy to replace him, making her the state’s first female premier in three decadesFollow our Australia news live blog for latest updatesGet our morning and afternoon news emails, free app or daily news podcastVictorian Labor MPs have voted to appoint Jacinta Allan as party leader and the 49th premier of […]
- Former BBC journalist who has a gift for persuasion has reportedly always been 100% opposed to rail project“If I could sum up my philosophy in a sentence,” Andrew Gilligan told a journalist after his stint as Boris Johnson’s cycling adviser, “it’s do something properly or not at all.”Gilligan, who is now back in No 10 […]
- Advinia has failed to return more than £7,000 in unused fees despite repeated demands and promises to do soA grieving family have hired lawyers after one of the UK’s largest care home operators withheld thousands of pounds in unused fees after their loved one died.Clara Willetts, 95, died on 19 June in the £186-a-day Netherton […]
- As row between two nations continues over killing of Hardeep Singh Nijjar, Al Jazeera explains the movement's history.
- Taipei has reported regular sightings of the Chinese military around the island as well as land exercises in Fujian.
- Dark powder, sand-sized particles found as lid opened on Osiris-REx space probe which collected samples from asteroid.
- Authorities suspect drug cartel conflict after seven bodies and five bags of body parts discovered in city and suburbs.
- The first parade in a decade was an opportunity for South Korea to show off its advanced weaponry and military might.
News & Guts (retired & replaced by “Steady”)
- White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki appeared at her last briefing on Friday before departing the White House for MSNBC. From watching them over the years we can’t imagine a more thankless job, regardless of administration. Psaki has generally been praised for her efforts, although that could be because at least she made an appearance. […]
- Russia pulling back again? The New York Times reports western and Ukrainian officials say the Russian military has been losing ground around Ukraine’s second largest city of Kharkiv. Officials say the Kremlin will probably redirect troops to the southeast, where it is said to be bolstering its forces in Izium, a city it captured last month. […]
- Five GOP Representatives who have previously declined to cooperate with the January 6 Committee investigating the attempted coup have now been subpoenaed. House minority leader Kevin McCarthy is one of the five. The committee’s leaders had been reluctant to issue subpoenas to their fellow lawmakers. That is an extraordinarily rare step for most congressional committees […]
- The Trump International Hotel in Washington is no more. The Trump Organization reached a $375 million agreement to sell the lease of the D.C. property to a Miami investor group. And in the dead of night, workers began removing all signage that said “Trump.” The hotel became the center of controversy from the beginning of […]
- As expected, the bill put forward by Democrats to codify the right to an abortion into federal law failed to win enough votes in the Senate. The final tally was 49-51, with Sen. Joe Manchin joining all Republicans in voting against it. The legislation would have needed 60 votes to be filibuster proof. The Washington […]
Steady by Dan Rather
- A Reason to Smile
- A new definition for the GOP
- "Looking back, much of what we warned about came true. But there is no satisfaction in being proven correct. Damage is the ultimate legacy."
- Of all the hackneyed phrases you hear in politics (and life), “It’s a marathon, not a sprint” might be one of the most simplistically useless.
- A Reason To Smile