Late Breaking News…
- Maria Cramer: Verda Tetteh, 17, was awarded the scholarship during the graduation ceremony at her Massachusetts high school. Moments later, she returned it and said […]
- Charlie Savage: Government leak hunters have been ratcheting up pressure on the ability of journalists to do their jobs for a generation — a push […]
- A couple of minutes after the captain ordered all passengers to return to their seats prepare to don their oxygen masks the captain asked that […]
- NBC News has released a few excerpts from a sit-down interview with Russian President Vladimir Putin that included the question, "Are you a killer?"
- The Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, which was the site of the worst attack on the LGBTQ community in U.S. history with 49 dead and another […]
Get the latest news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all the news that's fit to print.
- Though President Biden quickly signed several executive orders to roll back some of President Donald Trump’s most draconian policies, a number of other restrictive measures and rulings that directly affect domestic violence survivors remain in place.
- Authorities said there were no deaths, but two people are in critical condition. One suspect was in custody, and police were looking for another.
- Like many cities across the U.S., the homeless population in Portland has increased due to the coronavirus, leading the overwhelmed city to start issuing ultimatums to people to clear out.
- For the third time in a week, Delta diverted a flight because of a passenger’s behavior.
- Shane Wayne Michael allegedly coughed and spit on an Iowa man and said, referring to covid-19, “If I have it, you have it!”
The Daily Beast
- Max Mumby/Indigo – Pool/Getty ImagesIf you love The Daily Beast’s royal coverage, then we hope you’ll enjoy The Royalist, a members-only series for Beast Inside. Become a member to get it in your inbox on Sunday.The queen: “Never complain, never explain” is no moreThe queen has finally had enough of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s […]
- Dafna Gazit/Israel Antiquities AuthorityThe Israeli Antiquities Authority recently released an announcement about their acquisition of an ancient magical amulet, reportedly from Arbel in Northern Israel, that bears the Divine Name of God. The fifth-sixth century CE magical device, which was worn to ward off evil, was apparently found at the site of an ancient synagogue. […]
- Denis FinninThings are looking up for New York City. A summer of post-vaccine fun is in full swing, people are returning to the city, it just got a brand new park, and now one of its most iconic cultural attractions has a brand new hall devoted to all things sparkly.Opening this weekend is the Mignone […]
- Courtesy VRBOAmeland Island, the Netherlands (Vrbo): Only a 90-minute drive from Amsterdam followed by a picturesque ferry ride is an island that is a haven for artists and those looking for a remote retreat. Ameland is in the West Frisian Islands of the Netherlands, but it feels like a world away from our 2021 modern-day […]
- HandoutCOVID-19 hit Las Vegas like a prizefighter. Overnight it morphed from a city teeming with millions of guests to a collection of empty streets. Suddenly, there was no blackjack or buffets. No first-rate shows or spontaneous weddings.As a city known for dreams and fantasy, the pandemic brought a strange kind of unreality to Las Vegas. […]
New York Times – World News
- The referendum would have barred the use of the synthetic pesticides in farms and gardens.
- If it is approved, a new governing coalition will remove Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and end two years of political gridlock.
- One hospital near the capital, Port-au-Prince, issued an alert telling patients not to come because its wards were full.
- Dangerous variants are spreading, and only 43 percent of the population has been fully vaccinated, as states reopen and travel resumes.
- Drawing on lessons from Covid-19, President Biden and his allies are expected to sign a declaration on global health that aims to avoid another devastating pandemic.
- Associated Press: “After facing threats and intimidation during the 2020 presidential election and its aftermath, and now the potential of new punishments in certain states, county officials who run elections […]
- This piece is only available to Political Wire members. Your support makes this site possible. Join today for the complete Political Wire experience and get exclusive analysis, new features and […]
- Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) told CBS News that the new tentative infrastructure deal from a group of bipartisan senators will not include a gas tax hike or any reversal of […]
- Associated Press: “Laws setting guiderails for classroom instruction on race passed this year in Republican-controlled states have left some teachers worried about how they will be enforced. Particularly in districts […]
- Kansas City Star: “As Greitens spurns a Republican establishment that has largely turned against him, the other candidates are competing to become the dominant choice of party activists, some of […]
- Christian Eriksen suffered a cardiac arrest when he collapsed in Denmark's Euro 2020 match against Finland, says Danish team doctor Morten Boesen.
- The Israeli Knesset debates a proposed new government to replace Mr Netanyahu's administration.
- G7 leaders make new pledges to combat climate change, but campaigners say they lack detail.
- The prime minister says it is a "big step towards vaccinating the world" by the end of 2022.
- Britain's Johanna Konta wins her first title in four years by beating China's Shuai Zhang to clinch the Nottingham Open.
- by Bob Fernandez, The Philadelphia Inquirer, and Charlotte Keith, Spotlight PA ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for Dispatches, a newsletter that spotlights wrongdoing around the country, to receive our stories in your inbox every week. This article was produced in partnership with Spotlight PA and The Philadelphia Inquirer, […]
- by Robert Faturechi ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. The Secret IRS Files is an ongoing reporting project. Sign up to be notified when the next installment publishes. ProPublica’s investigation released Tuesday revealing that the top 25 wealthiest Americans have paid little, and sometimes nothing, in federal income taxes has resulted […]
- by Jodi S. Cohen, ProPublica, and Dave Boucher, Detroit Free Press This is a collaboration between ProPublica and the Detroit Free Press. Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and other state leaders on Wednesday announced the creation of a task force to improve how the state handles young offenders, saying the juvenile justice system has been failing […]
- by Rob Davis, The Oregonian/OregonLive, and Tony Schick, OPB ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for Dispatches, a newsletter that spotlights wrongdoing around the country, to receive our stories in your inbox every week. This article was produced in partnership with Oregon Public Broadcasting and The Oregonian/OregonLive. You can […]
- by Agnel Philip, ProPublica, and Alden Woods, The Arizona Republic ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article was produced for ProPublica’s Local Reporting Network in partnership with The Arizona Republic. Sign up for Dispatches to get stories like […]
- Majority of Americans trust Joe Biden to negotiate on US behalf with foreign counterparts: POLL (Quinn Scanlan/ABC News)Quinn Scanlan / ABC News: Majority of Americans trust Joe Biden to negotiate on US behalf with foreign counterparts: POLL — With Russia's Vladimir Putin specifically, 49% trust Biden to negotiate. — In the midst of his first foreign trip since taking office, a new ABC News/Ipsos poll finds a majority …
- Jackie Calmes / Yahoo News: Op-Ed: My front row seat to the radicalization of the Republican Party — Since before he became president, Joe Biden has told crowds, “Folks, this is not your father's Republican Party.” As a political reporter, I'd been hearing that lament since the late 1990s, from far better sources …
- Bloomberg: G-7 Commits to 1 Billion Extra Covid Shots in Final Communique — Leaders cite Hong Kong, Xinjiang in China human rights section — Russia should stop ‘destabilizing behavior,’ communique says — Group of Seven leaders promised to deliver at least 1 billion extra doses of vaccines …
- Joseph Krauss / Associated Press: Israel to swear in government, ending Netanyahu's long rule — JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel is set to swear in a new government on Sunday that will send Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu into the opposition after a record 12 years in office and a political crisis that sparked four elections in […]
- Christopher Sign, Birmingham TV anchor and former Alabama football player, dead in apparent suicide (Carol Robinson/al.com)Carol Robinson / al.com: Christopher Sign, Birmingham TV anchor and former Alabama football player, dead in apparent suicide — Veteran TV newsman and former University of Alabama football player Christopher Sign died Saturday morning in an apparent suicide, according to police. — At 8:13 a.m. Saturday …
- At least three people were killed and four wounded in a mass shooting in Cleveland, …
- Alaska, Iowa, Missouri and Mississippi eliminated their federal unemployment programs on Saturday, ending federal assistance for almost 340,000 workers. The states are the first four of the 25 Re…
- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi on Sunday said she has "no intention" of abandoning Democrats' infrastructure goals, as negotiations continue with Republicans for a bipartisan package.A group of Democ…
- President Biden and other U.S. officials on Sunday congratulated Israel's new government after the coalition survived a vote of confidence in the Israeli parliament, officially ousting Prime Minister Benjamin Netany…
- President Biden told reporters that Queen Elizabeth II reminded him of his mother shortly after the two met at Windsor Castle on Sunday.After wrapping up a summit with the Group of Seven (G-7) na…
- Group D updates from the 2pm BST kick-off at WembleyBoos drowned out by applause as players take the kneeInteractive special: complete guide to all 622 playersAnd you can email [email protected] 3.04pm BST 48 min Kovacic is booked for a crunching tackle on his clubmate Mount. He did win the ball but the referee decided his […]
- Latest updates: PM says most conversations with other leaders harmonious and on other topics, as row with France over Brexit overshadows final day of G7 2.56pm BST Sky News is now showing Joe Biden’s press conference.It has been extraordinarily collaborative, he says. 2.52pm BST Macron says the liberal democracy model is at risk. That is […]
- Coronavirus live: G7 calls for expert-led study on origins of Covid; England considers delaying lifting restrictionsFollow the latest updates on the pandemic in the UK and across the worldSee all our coronavirus coverage 2.47pm BST Johnson said it was important to keep an open mind on the origins of coronavirus as he backed a beefed up role for the WHO based on the powers of international weapons inspectors. Asked if […]
- Protest at Plaza de Colón in Madrid draws 25,000 people, including leaders of three rightwing parties About 25,000 people, including the leaders of the three parties on Spain’s right, have rallied in Madrid to protest against the government’s deeply divisive moves to pardon the 12 Catalan independence leaders convicted over their parts in the failed […]
- Party officially endorses co-leader and top candidate for September election to succeed MerkelGermany’s Green party has said it remains confident of securing the chancellorship and succeeding Angela Merkel at the country’s autumn election despite a drop in the polls, as it officially endorsed its lead candidate for the job.Setbacks in recent weeks have led to […]
- Left-wing presidential contender Pedro Castillo keeps slim lead over Keiko Fujimori, but official result not yet released.
- What can the doctor son of British immigrants teach us about social justice and economic inequality during the pandemic?
- Hundreds of Rohingya rendered homeless after a massive fire razes Rohingya camp in the Madanpur Khadar area of Delhi.
- The shelling, in an area controlled by Turkey-backed fighters, killed at least 13 people and injured 27.
- Lawyers for the defendants denounce 'lack of sense of fairness' after a court found the pair guilty of arson.
News & Guts
- Russian cybercriminals hacked the world’s largest beef producer last week, forcing the multi-national company, JBS, to pay an $11 million dollar ransom. The attack temporarily disrupted operations at JBS’s U.S. plants, which provides approximately one-fifth of the nation’s meat supply. Pilgrim Pride’s, a JBS subsidiary and one of leading providers of chicken and poultry, was […]
- The EPA announced on Wednesday that it is repealing the 2020 Navigable Waters Protection Rule, the latest sign that the Biden administration is committed to rolling back Trump-era policies that imperil the environment. The rule reduced the number of streams, marshes and other wetlands that fall under federal protection. EPA Administrator Michael Regan said it […]
- The United States will buy 500 million doses of Pfizer’s COVID-19 vaccine and distribute them to approximately 100 countries over the next two years, according to The New York Times. Pfizer, according to sources, will charge a “not-for-profit” price. The first 200 million doses will be given out this year, with the balance being distributed […]
- Women are abusing alcohol at a much higher rate than in the past, a trend researchers fear will be exacerbated by the stresses of the pandemic. For generations, risky alcohol consumption has been associated with men. But new research show that women are increasingly turning to alcohol. From NPR: For nearly a century, women have […]
- The Paycheck Fairness Act, a bill designed to narrow the gender wage gap and give women the resources to negotiate higher pay, died in the Senate on Tuesday in the face of GOP opposition. “We have been talking about the wage gap for years now with no action taken by this Senate. Women with the […]