Get the latest news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all the news that’s fit to print.
- Maps track Hurricane Zeta’s trajectory and development in the Gulf of Mexico.
- Eric Sopp's mother called police last November because her son left the house in a car, drunk. Soon after, a Baltimore County officer shot him dead as he emerged from his car with no weapon.
- The Dallas store Howdy Homemade stayed in business thanks to a $100,000 fundraiser and is now looking nationwide for expansion opportunities.
- "A doll who changes rooms or a fluffy bear who stares may be a delight to some, and a horror to others," according to the Unsettling Toys website. "We help match people with creepy new friends."
- Jon Ossoff attacks Sen. Perdue on pandemic: ‘You’re attacking the health of the people that you represent’"It’s that you’re attacking the health of the people that you represent,” Democratic challenger Jon Ossoff said the final debate in Georgia.
The Daily Beast
- Eric Gaillard/REUTERSROME—The Ambrosoni family in the central part of the city here have one computer, painfully slow internet, and three children in elementary school, making learning from home something of a challenge. When schools closed down last March, the children essentially stopped learning, the family says. And the family does not want to see that […]
- EVARISTO SAGlenn Greenwald on Thursday announced that he had resigned from The Intercept—the digital outlet he founded in 2013 with fellow journalists Laura Poitras and Jeremy Scahill, and with funding from First Look Media—claiming “repression, censorship and ideological homogeneity” at the publication.In a post published to Substack, the long-time reporter claimed that “The final, precipitating […]
- Robert Alexander/GettyThe Supreme Court’s decision this week to bar all absentee and mail-in ballots in Wisconsin received after election day has nothing to do with U.S. law or the U.S. Constitution, and everything to do with politics.For decades, conservative judges – including the Republican-appointed justice on the Supreme Court – have declared themselves to be […]
- Kamil Krzaczynski/GettyThe fired Waukegan, Illinois, cop who fatally shot 19-year-old Marcellis Stinnette and injured 20-year-old Tafara Williams has been identified as Dante Salinas, according to court documents.The officer, who was identified in a lawsuit filed by Williams on Wednesday evening, was also involved in another violent incident more than a year before Stinnette’s death in […]
- ABCThe hosts of The View on Thursday expressed their extreme dissatisfaction with Miles Taylor, who revealed on Wednesday that he was the Trump administration official who anonymously authored a scathing anti-Trump New York Times op-ed and subsequent book, calling the current CNN pundit an “opportunist” who is “full of it.”Taylor, a former Department of Homeland […]
New York Times – World News
- New details of the Justice Department’s handling of the accusations against Halkbank reveal how Turkey’s leader pressured the president, prompting concern from top White House aides.
- The assault at a church in the south of France left at least three people dead. Local officials said it bore similarities to the killing of a schoolteacher that has shaken the country.
- The Communist Party’s Central Committee endorsed an ambitious policy program that looks far beyond the coronavirus pandemic.
- They have long prided themselves on an efficient government, some say to the point of smugness. Ranking high in the rate of daily infections is forcing a reckoning.
- While the government’s moves against extremism have public support, they have opened France to criticism that its relationship with its Muslim citizens has taken an ugly turn.
- Wall Street Journal: “Polling suggests that if the election were held today, it would show the largest gap on record for a presidential election–a 15-percentage-point divide.”
- Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: “Potentially thousands of mail ballots requested by Butler County voters appear to be lost… and the U.S. Postal Service has been asked to immediately investigate what happened to […]
- From Quinnipiac University: FLORIDA: Biden 45%, Trump 42% IOWA: Trump 47%, Biden 46% OHIO: Biden 48%, Trump 43% PENNSYLVANIA: Biden 51%, Trump 44% From Monmouth University: FLORIDA: Biden 51%, Trump […]
- Underscoring the true uncertainty in Trumpworld, Ashley Parker asked a Trump adviser for their gut sense on what will happen on Election Day. The response: “If you put a gun […]
- A spokesman for UPS told the Daily Beast on Thursday that they had located a mysterious package that Fox News host Tucker Carlson suggested had been deliberately misplaced or intercepted […]
Late Breaking News…
- A new challenge to Harris County's drive-thru voting sites, filed by two GOP candidates and a Republican member of the Texas House, asks the state […]
- This president calls for his opponents to be locked up; he uses the Department of Justice to conduct vendettas; he commutes the sentences of supporters […]
- After a surprisingly sluggish weekend for polling, the floodgates have opened, with a mix of high-quality polls, low-quality polls and pretty much everything in between. […]
- Michael E. Miller: The president had just spent three days in Walter Reed National Military Medical Center recovering from covid-19, the disease caused by the […]
- A computer hacker who took over networks maintained by Hall County, Ga., escalated demands this week by publicly releasing election-related files after a ransom wasn't […]
- Exeter's double-winning lock Jonny Hill will make his England debut in Saturday's Six Nations match against Italy in Rome.
- The latest election drama, and what speculation about who wrote the book Anonymous really tells us.
- Preventing pandemics could be more than 100 times cheaper than tackling their deadly effects.
- President Macron says France will not give up its values after the attack at the Notre-Dame basilica.
- Presidential candidate Tundu Lissu says the election was "marred by irregularities at all stages".
- Susan Collins Backed Down From a Fight with Private Equity. Now They’re Underwriting Her Reelection.by Justin Elliott, ProPublica, and Theodoric Meyer, Politico ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This story is co-published with Politico. In late November 2017, Senate Republicans were racing to secure the votes for their sweeping tax overhaul. With no […]
- by Ava Kofman ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. Ahmad Ghabboun broke into a sweat. It was a late night in August and he had just discovered an unexpected $14,990 debt posted to the online portal he uses to […]
- by Cynthia Gordy Giwa ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up for ProPublica’s User’s Guide to Democracy, a series of personalized emails that help you understand the upcoming election, from who’s on your ballot to how to cast your vote. Leer en español. Summary The Cook Political Report evaluates elections […]
- por Cynthia Gordy Giwa La Guía del Usuario de ProPublica sobre la Democracia (en inglés) es también una serie de correos electrónicos personalizados que le ayudarán a entender las próximas elecciones, desde quién está en su boleta hasta cómo emitir su voto. Inscríbase o lea más artículos aquí. Read in English. Resumen The Cook Political […]
- by Ken Ward Jr. ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article is co-published with Mountain State Spotlight, a new nonprofit newsroom covering West Virginia. One year ago, West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice promised business leaders that the state’s […]
- Reuters: Biden pledges task force to reunite children separated at U.S-Mexico border — (Reuters) – Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden vowed to create a task force to reunite more than 500 children who were separated from their families at the U.S.-Mexico border by the Trump administration and whose parents have not been located.
- Trump's effort to steal the election, explained by a Democrat fighting against it (Greg Sargent/Washington Post)Greg Sargent / Washington Post: Trump's effort to steal the election, explained by a Democrat fighting against it — President Trump has loudly claimed for years that he has the backing of a “silent majority.” But he knows this is a lie. His own actions prove it. — The claim is belied by the extraordinary […]
- Florida And Iowa Races Are Too Close To Call, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; Biden Maintains His Lead In Pennsylvania, Has Narrow Lead In Ohio (QU Poll)QU Poll: Florida And Iowa Races Are Too Close To Call, Quinnipiac University Poll Finds; Biden Maintains His Lead In Pennsylvania, Has Narrow Lead In Ohio — IOWA SENATE: Ernst 48%, Greenfield 46% — Less than a week before Election Day 2020, President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden …
- Potentially thousands of requested mail ballots lost in Butler County, official says (Pittsburgh Post-Gazette)Pittsburgh Post-Gazette: Potentially thousands of requested mail ballots lost in Butler County, official says — HARRISBURG — Potentially thousands of mail ballots requested by Butler County voters appear to be lost, a county official said Wednesday, and the U.S. Postal Service has been asked to immediately investigate what happened to them.
- Megan Henney / Fox News: McConnell says Democrats have ‘50-50’ odds of flipping Senate control — McConnell warns battle for Senate is a ‘50-50 proposition’ — McConnell reacts to Amy Coney Barrett's Supreme Court confirmation — Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said the chances are “50-50” …
- The Supreme Court on Thursday denied a Republican bid to block a mail-ballot extension in North Carolina, a day after rejecting a similar GOP effort in the key battleground state.The court's three most conservative…
- Former Vice President Joe Biden will travel to Minnesota on Friday to rev up Democratic voters on the same day President Trump plans to be in the state, which is emerging as a late-stage battleground….
- Journalist Glenn Greenwald has resigned from The Intercept, seven years after co-founding the online publication, citing censorship by his own editors over an article concerning former Vice President Joe Biden.The…
- An artist in Texas says he has received visits from the police over Halloween decorations that neighbors have complained are too gory.Steven Novak of Dallas …
- Sen. Kelly Loeffler (R-Ga.) did not identify an issue on which she disagreed with President Trump during a meeting with several reporters on Wednesday, dodging questions about Trump's comments on the infamous "Access Hollywood" tape in which…
- Coronavirus live news: West Yorkshire to move to toughest Covid restrictions; Greece brings in regional lockdownsGreece to lock down Thessaloniki and two other regions; West Yorkshire moving into tier 3; French PM lays out details of new France lockdownWhite House taskforce warns of ‘unrelenting’ Covid spreadAngela Merkel heckled by German MPs over lockdownFrance: children aged six and over to wear masks in schoolTaiwan marks 200 days without domestic infectionLarge China […]
- Trump and Biden will speak hours apart at rallies in TampaPelosi: ‘I feel very confident Biden will be elected’Will conservative evangelicals stay loyal to Trump?Covid crisis drives Arizonans to the pollsOhioans hit by GM plant closure regret Trump votesSign up for Fight to Vote – our weekly US election newsletter 6.29pm GMT During his Tampa […]
- Jeremy Corbyn to fight suspension from Labour after EHRC antisemitism report comments – politics liveFormer party leader has whip removed over comments following publication of Equality and Human Rights Commission inquiryJeremy Corbyn suspended from Labour over EHRC commentsKeir Starmer: EHRC report is day of shame for LabourLabour responsible for harassment and discrimination, EHRC findsFormal complaints on Corbyn and other MPs sent to LabourKey findings of the EHRC inquiry 6.28pm […]
- Although polling averages gave Clinton the edge over Trump in 2016 there are significant differences in the evidence todayFor months, activists and Democratic party officials have been telling Joe Biden supporters that the only answer to the question “can we trust the polls?” is to go out and vote for Biden, and then get others […]
- Search teams believe locals must have known about site in Salvatierra, Guanajuato stateSearch teams are excavating a site in the central Mexico state of Guanajuato where 59 bodies have been found in clandestine graves in the past week.The striking aspect of the discovery is that the site is not a desolate area far out in […]
- Malaysia's former leader Mahathir Mohamad says Muslims have a right 'to kill … French people' after a deadly attack.
- The United States records more than 500,000 cases of COVID-19 in the past week, as hospitalisations surpass 45,000.
- White House notifies Congress of its intent to sell advanced fighter jets to the UAE, setting up a potential showdown.
- Senegalese and Spanish navies and fishermen rescued some 60 people, International Organization for Migration says.
- A knife-wielding attacker beheaded a woman and killed two other people in a suspected terrorist attack.
News & Guts
- Earlier this week in Michigan, Donald Trump said in a Neanderthal-like appeal to women voters that he was the best candidate because he was “getting your kids back to school” and “getting your husbands back to work.” To that, Nancy Pelosi said today: What decade is he living in? What century is he living in? […]
- Donald Trump’s final push, his closing statement in the campaign is an embarrassing lie. Trump has told supporters from coast to coast in the past few weeks that the pandemic is ending, that we’re “rounding the corner” on coronavirus. The opposite is true. Cases are rising rapidly across the country. More than 74-thousand new cases […]
- Miles Taylor has revealed that he was anonymous, the author behind a scathing op-ed in The New York Times back in 2018. At the time he wrote, “I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration.” In a statement today, Taylor wrote: I witnessed Trump’s inability to do his job over the course of two-and-a-half […]
- With six days to go before Election Day, historic numbers of Americans have turned out to cast their ballots early. At least 71.5 million early votes had been cast nationwide as of Wednesday morning. That’s more than half the total seen in the 2016 election that sent Donald Trump to the White House. In some […]
- A Trump rally in Omaha turned into a frigid nightmare Tuesday night as thousands of the president’s supporters were stranded miles from their cars for hours when promised buses failed to arrive. The rally at Omaha’s Eppley Airfield drew at least 6,000 people; law enforcement and Trump campaign sources estimated the crowd at more than […]