Late Breaking News…
- A man behind a pro-Trump scam PAC has been hit with federal wire fraud charges alleging he bilked hundreds of thousands of dollars from donors […]
- The 36-person commission is set to study debate for and against making changes to the court, hold public meetings to solicit opinions from outsiders, and […]
- New emails, revealed by congressional investigators, show how Trump appointees at the Department of Health and Human Services gleefully celebrated attempts to get the CDC […]
- Texas Republicans are working to recruit a "army" of 10,000 poll workers and watchers to fight voter fraud in Houston, leaked video of a Harris […]
- Haili Blassingame: I broke up with my boyfriend of five years during quarantine, but not because we had fallen out of love. I sent him […]
Get the latest news from The Daily Grind. We cover the all the news that's fit to print.
- He was an early friend of Joseph Ratzinger, the future Pope Benedict XVI, but was a strong critic of church doctrines.
- “I want my pants to have real pockets like my brother’s pants,” said Kamryn Gardner, 7.
- More than 30 million people have been infected with the coronavirus in the United States and over 559,000 have died.
- Rochelle Walensky called racism an issue that ‘affects the health of our entire nation,’ and vowed more funding for minority communities.
- He was arrested at a Black Lives Matter protest. Now, he’s warning others about Florida’s anti-riot proposal.The measure, which is being debated by the state Senate, would increase the punishment for attending a violent protest or defacing a historic monument.
The Daily Beast
- Kevin Winter/GettyThe Black community sat in agony over the past week as we waited the official news of DMX’s health. We knew what was coming, but we also didn’t want to accept it. After the 50-year-old rapper reportedly suffered a heart attack from a suspected drug overdose, it was as if we crashed back to […]
- Scott Heins/Getty ImagesBetween the #MeToo movement, the scourge of sexual assaults on college campuses, Chanel Miller’s viral essay, Dr. Christine Blasey Ford’s testimony, and countless reported stories about the privileged abusing power, the American public has gone through a crash course on sexual violence and the factors that influence a victim’s decision to report. We’ve seen […]
- Mechielsen Lyndon-Pool/GettyHow much longer will the queen go on?The death of Prince Philip has suddenly given urgency to that question and, depending on which way the answer goes, the whole future of the monarchy could be in question.Elizabeth will turn 95 on April 21. This was always going to be a celebrated milestone in the […]
- Getty“I'm not a racist. I never should have said what I said,” Terry “Hulk Hogan” Bollea explained in August of 2015.It was on ABC’s Good Morning America that the WWE wrestling legend, there to theoretically apologize for using the N-word in a surreptitiously shot video, issued the mea culpa.“It was wrong. I’m embarrassed by it, […]
- Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty ImagesThis is a preview of our pop culture newsletter The Daily Beast’s Obsessed, written by senior entertainment reporter Kevin Fallon. To receive the full newsletter in your inbox each week, sign up for it here.This week, everyone kept talking about The New York Times report that a new subatomic form of matter and […]
New York Times – World News
- Tolkien fans received an unexpected gift with the rediscovery of an all-but-forgotten 1991 production. They were also left with questions, like “why is Gollum wearing a lettuce on his head?”
- Will Prince Harry come home? Will Meghan join him? The patriarch’s death on Friday opens an uncertain chapter for the House of Windsor.
- The country’s official coronavirus death toll is 102,649. But at least 300,000 more people died last year during the pandemic than were reported in Russia’s most widely cited official statistics.
- The standoff between King Abdullah II and his half brother, Prince Hamzah, wasn’t just palace intrigue. It hinted at Saudi meddling and highlighted wider tensions within Jordan’s complex society.
- La Soufrière, on the main island of St. Vincent and the Grenadines, last erupted in 1979. It sent two explosive plumes of ash and smoke on Friday, and 20,000 people fled.
- Daily Beast: “None of the 16 former senior Trump admin officials, ex-campaign brass, longtime GOP operatives, and sources close to the ex-president contacted by The Daily Beast were willing to […]
- Politico: “In the first three months of the off-year, party recruiters are reporting a surge of enthusiasm from a diverse crop of prospective candidates, including women and people of color. […]
- Washington Post: “The GOP is still Donald Trump’s party. The clearest proof of that: It is still finding ways to pay Donald Trump money.” “Since Trump left office, at least […]
- Axios: “The Justice Department accuses Jame Kyle Bell, the man behind the Keep America Great Committee, of enlisting a digital fundraising firm to fraudulently appeal to Trump supporters to chip […]
- “Texas Republican Party chairman Allen West falsely suggested that Texas could secede from the United States and become an independent country,” CNN reports. Said West: “This is something that was […]
- The e-commerce company Alibaba Group is fined $2.75bn for violating anti-monopoly rules.
- Further tributes will be paid across the sporting weekend to Prince Philip, the Duke of Edinburgh, who died on Friday aged 99.
- Spain's royal family telegrams "Dear Aunt Lilibet", as condolence messages pour in.
- A royal occasion descended into bewilderment and chuckles after a swarm of bees descended.
- From his rescue as a toddler to thwarting wartime sea raids, the duke – and his outlook on life – was shaped by the navy.
- “We Are Not Here or Funded to ‘Promote the Best Interest’ of the Children,” Wrote the Head of a Program for Brain-Damaged Infantsby Daniel Chang and Carol Marbin Miller, Miami Herald ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article was produced in partnership with the Miami Herald, which is a member of the ProPublica Local Reporting Network. JACKSONVILLE, Florida — Over […]
- ProPublica The Association of Health Care Journalists announced this week that ProPublica won three first-place honors in its Awards for Excellence in Health Care Journalism. “Inside the Fall of the CDC” won in the investigative category. Reported by James Bandler, Patricia Callahan, Sebastian Rotella and Kirsten Berg, the story provided a comprehensive look at meddling […]
- by Carol Marbin Miller and Daniel Chang, Miami Herald ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article was produced in partnership with the Miami Herald, which is a member of the ProPublica Local Reporting Network. Declaring that Florida leaders […]
- by Carol Marbin Miller and Daniel Chang, Miami Herald ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. This article was produced in partnership with the Miami Herald, which is a member of the ProPublica Local Reporting Network ORLANDO, Florida — On […]
- New York City Kills COVID Rule That Led to Repeated School Closings Despite No Evidence of Outbreaksby Eric Umansky ProPublica is a nonprofit newsroom that investigates abuses of power. Sign up to receive our biggest stories as soon as they’re published. New York City announced on Thursday an end to its rule that had led to thousands of public school closures despite little evidence of COVID-19 outbreaks. Schools will now only […]
- Slotkin asks Biden administration to label foreign white supremacists as terrorists (Malachi Barrett/MLive.com)Malachi Barrett / MLive.com: Slotkin asks Biden administration to label foreign white supremacists as terrorists — U.S. Rep. Elissa Slotkin, D-Holly, is asking the Biden administration to designate overseas white supremacists as foreign terrorist organizations, giving the American government more tools to check their influence.
- High number of Trump political appointees sought permanent jobs in final year (Adam Edelman/NBC News)Adam Edelman / NBC News: High number of Trump political appointees sought permanent jobs in final year — The number of political appointees who sought permanent positions in the final year of former President Donald Trump's term outpaced the number who did so under his predecessor during the same time frame, according to documents obtained […]
- Cam Edwards / bearingarms.com: New West Virginia Law Removes Sales Tax On Guns, Ammo — While California Democrats are looking to jack up the taxes on guns and ammunition in their latest attempt to punish those exercising their Second Amendment rights, the Republicans in charge of the West Virginia legislature are moving in the opposite […]
- By 5-4 Vote, Supreme Court Lifts Restrictions on Prayer Meetings in Homes (Adam Liptak/New York Times)Adam Liptak / New York Times: By 5-4 Vote, Supreme Court Lifts Restrictions on Prayer Meetings in Homes — The court shifted direction in cases on Covid-related limits on religious services after Justice Amy Coney Barrett replaced Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg. — WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court late Friday night lifted …
- Democracy Docket: WI Supreme Court Rules Against Voter Purging — WASHINGTON, D.C.—In a 5-2 decision, the Wisconsin Supreme Court ruled on Friday that the Wisconsin Elections Commission cannot purge 69,000 voters from the voter rolls that it suspects have moved addresses. The case was filed in 2019 …
- Officials will examine the brain of Phillip Adams, the former professional football player accused of fatally shooting a South Carolina physician, three family members and a repairman before killing himself, will be teste…
- The White House on Friday said President Biden will nominate Doug Parker, the chief of California's Division of Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), to head up the U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
- A California police department announced Friday that it fired one of its officers for having ties to the far-right extremist group Proud Boys.
- White supremacists are planning rallies in cities nationwide this weekend under the banner of "White Lives Matter."
- Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) warned that ending the Senate filibuster and expanding the Supreme Court would "forever diminish" the country's foundation as Democrats mull revamping certain aspects of the legislative and judic…
- Coronavirus live news: India’s cases surging as deadly second wave spreads, Iran imposes 10-day lockdownIndia records 145,384 new Covid-19 cases and 794 deaths, the highest number of fatalities in more than five months; lockdown ordered in IranEU agency examines reports of blood clots with J&J Covid vaccineOrganisers of secret Paris dinner parties say ministers did not attendRetailers in England and Wales ready for return of shoppersWhat are the new […]
- Salutes held across the UK as well as in Gibraltar after Queen’s Elizabeth’s husband died aged 99 on FridayQueen and royal family mourn Prince Philip as tributes pour inBBC flooded with complaints over Prince Philip coverage‘He was her king’: what the papers say after the death of Prince PhilipThe Guardian view on Prince Philip: a […]
- Trump and his allies foresaw a ticking timebomb centred on the president’s son – but it has not turned out that wayWhere’s Hunter?The rhetorical question about Joe Biden’s troubled son was posed time and again by Donald Trump during last year’s US presidential election but never caught fire in the way “Lock her up!” did […]
- The rapper, who has died aged 50, parlayed his life’s difficulties into thrilling, combative, witheringly witty musicListening to a DMX song from the late 1990s is like riding a wrecking ball through a gated community. The music video for Stop Being Greedy – one of many confrontational highlights from the rapper’s 1998 Def Jam debut, […]
- About 28% of Peruvians wouldn’t choose any of the candidates, poll shows ahead of Sunday’s voteAn ultra-conservative millionaire who admits to scourging himself daily to repress sexual desire is just one of an assortment of low-polling candidates who all have a shot at becoming Peru’s next president.Rafael López Aliaga is technically tied with five other […]
- Authorities forced to impose partial shutdowns as cases continue to rise after Iranian new year holidays.
- Iran says products from its cascades will have civilian uses, bashes Western powers for suggesting otherwise.
- Fighters from an alliance of rebel groups reportedly attack a police station in new escalation after the military coup.
- Defence ministry says soldiers were sentenced to death by a specialist court after a fair trial.
- Karaivaz, who worked for a private TV channel, was shot several times on Friday outside his house.
News & Guts
- Progressives want to dilute the conservative majority on the Supreme Court by adding new judges. So far, all they’ve gotten is a commission. On Friday, the Biden administration unveiled a new executive order creating a bipartisan group of legal experts to study Supreme Court reform. A press release announcing the initiative said the size of […]
- Biden Unveils Budget Proposal that Emphasizes Fighting Climate Change and Helping Students in PovertyOn Friday, President Joe Biden unveiled his $1.52 trillion budget proposal. In the process, he revealed his administrations priorities: improving education, investing in public health, and fighting climate change. NBC News summarizes: Biden is targeting funding increases in areas he campaigned heavily on, including a $20 billion boost for schools in low-income areas, the creation […]
- “Yippie!!!” That was the reaction of a Trump administration official after he successfully pressured the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to alter a report related to the coronavirus pandemic. The edit – suggested by Trump science advisor Paul Alexander – centered on how the virus spreads among young people. At the time, September 2020, […]
- One person was killed in a mass shooting that occurred Thursday afternoon at an production plant in Bryan, Texas. Four others were critically wounded during the shooting at the facility for Kent Moore Cabinets, according to authorities on the scene. Police arrived at 2:30pm after getting reports of shots fired. By the time they arrived, […]
- Florida congressman Matt Gaetz may be staring at serious legal jeopardy, as one of his close friends appears ready to reach an agreement to cooperate with prosecutors. Joel Greenberg, a former tax collector for Seminole County, Florida and a Gaetz ally, was in court today for a hearing related to charges of sex trafficking involving […]